There is no longer a job posting with this ID.
Thread poster: Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Local time: 11:22
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Sep 2, 2014

Hello, I have been contacted by a certain agency to translate for them. the rate they offer is a bit low, but they seem to have regular work. When I looked up the agency, the BB entries are all 5, but when I click on the jobs posted by this agency on ProZ, I get the above for all jobs(not many, as they contact translators directly): There is no longer a job posting with this ID. Usually, when a job is closed, as past, you can still see the details of the job but not the details of the poster. Ca... See more
Hello, I have been contacted by a certain agency to translate for them. the rate they offer is a bit low, but they seem to have regular work. When I looked up the agency, the BB entries are all 5, but when I click on the jobs posted by this agency on ProZ, I get the above for all jobs(not many, as they contact translators directly): There is no longer a job posting with this ID. Usually, when a job is closed, as past, you can still see the details of the job but not the details of the poster. Can anyone tell me what the above message means please? When I see this message, I get the feeling something was not quite right, seems like removed or something. Can anyone clarify, please? Thank you.Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Housework Sep 2, 2014

Josephine Cassar wrote:
...Can anyone tell me what the above message means please?...

I gather it only means that proz.com don't keep job ads live more than 1,2,3? months to save on digital space/resources/etc.
The message appears for all companies when the job is past a certain "expiration" date, no need to get suspicious.

Philippe

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:22
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Drives me nuts, personally! Sep 2, 2014

Philippe Etienne wrote:

Josephine Cassar wrote:
...Can anyone tell me what the above message means please?...

I gather it only means that proz.com don't keep job ads live more than 1,2,3? months to save on digital space/resources/etc.
The message appears for all companies when the job is past a certain "expiration" date, no need to get suspicious.

Philippe

Yes, you do see it a lot. You even see it when you've quoted on a job through the ProZ.com interface and click on the link back from your quote to the job details. That drives me nuts as it's an essential part of the audit trail. Why did I say what I did? Who was I writing to (not just the company name but the contact details)? What did they specify as requirements?

I don't know what we're supposed to do to retain that essential information. Saving the link clearly won't work. Copy the whole thing into a document and keep it on our computer? Get a hardcopy print of each one? Neither of those should be necessary - it should be stored forever with the quote.

What's the point of the history of jobs posted that's listed on the BB record? There is no history to speak of!

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
I don't seem to experience this Sep 2, 2014

Sheila Wilson wrote:
...You even see it when you've quoted on a job through the ProZ.com interface and click on the link back from your quote to the job details. That drives me nuts as it's an essential part of the audit trail. Why did I say what I did? Who was I writing to (not just the company name but the contact details)? What did they specify as requirements?...

I just checked and retrieved specifics from a job offer to which I replied in 2008. It's still there.
Did you try using http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/quotes/ ?

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Yes, that's what I use Sep 2, 2014

Philippe Etienne wrote:
I just checked and retrieved specifics from a job offer to which I replied in 2008. It's still there.
Did you try using http://www.proz.com/translation-jobs/quotes/ ?

They don't all disappear, but many do. I did raise a support ticket a while back but I can't remember what it said off-hand. I'll try to dig it out when I have a moment.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quotes/non quotes Sep 2, 2014

These were not jobs one submitted quotes for. The ones I submitted quotes for are still there, from since when I joined, and I wanted to find out what type of agency this was, especially seeing it had a lot of 5s in BB entries, but the posted remark tells me nothing about the agency at all. I would have liked to see what the agency asks of its translators. Thank you for your feedback, agreed, nothing suspicious. System's fault, not agency's fault at all.

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Occurs when jobs are more than three months old Sep 3, 2014

Josephine Cassar wrote:
Hello, I have been contacted by a certain agency to translate for them. the rate they offer is a bit low, but they seem to have regular work. When I looked up the agency, the BB entries are all 5, but when I click on the jobs posted by this agency on ProZ, I get the above for all jobs(not many, as they contact translators directly): There is no longer a job posting with this ID. Usually, when a job is closed, as past, you can still see the details of the job but not the details of the poster. Can anyone tell me what the above message means please? When I see this message, I get the feeling something was not quite right, seems like removed or something. Can anyone clarify, please? Thank you.

Hello Josephine,

The "There is no longer a job posting with this ID. " message does not mean that the job was removed for any reason. While the job titles still appear under the "Past job postings" heading of a Blue Board record, the specific job details cannot be accessed if the job is more than three months old, unless you have submitted a quote for that particular job.

Sheila Wilson wrote:
Yes, you do see it a lot. You even see it when you've quoted on a job through the ProZ.com interface and click on the link back from your quote to the job details. That drives me nuts as it's an essential part of the audit trail. Why did I say what I did? Who was I writing to (not just the company name but the contact details)? What did they specify as requirements?

Hello Sheila,

You should be able to see the details of the jobs you've submitted quotes for, even if they are more than three months old. If you find any examples of this message occurring when viewing the jobs mentioned on your "My Quotes" page, please let me know via support request so I can look into this and make sure everything is working as it should.

Thanks!

Best regards,

Maria

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not many jobs ask for quotes through ProZ.com Sep 3, 2014

Maria Kopnitsky wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:

Hello Sheila,

You should be able to see the details of the jobs you've submitted quotes for, even if they are more than three months old.

Hello Maria,

Yes, I remember now what the problem is. It's that very many jobs (I don't know the actual percentage) ask for email quotes, not through the ProZ.com interface. And that percentage seems to be rising all the time. It's those ones that are causing me the problems. I refer to the job post in my quote but later on I can't see what was in that post - the link no longer works. I really need to be able to save those jobs in my "quotes" area, too.

In fact, as a paying member I think I should have a little area where I can also maintain standard texts. I can store templates for my quotes at the moment, but I can only edit them when I'm applying for a job - and that's when, by definition, I have the least time to make changes that apply across the board. I should have somewhere far more flexible for that type of text. And it should include my "bio" text that I'm asked to complete afresh every time I register for a conference, webinar etc.

But getting back to the job posting, that "missing link" has already put me in an embarrassing position more than once when an outsourcer has contacted me about a job I quoted on. I have my own email, of course, but it looks really bad that I have no idea of the details of the job I was quoting on.

Maria Kopnitsky
Maria Kopnitsky  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Thanks, Sheila Sep 3, 2014

Thanks for clarifying, Sheila. I see what you mean.

It looks like you brought this up in another forum post here: http://www.proz.com/post/2082740#2082740

At the time, your idea for a feature which would allow the details of a job posting to be sent to a quoter via email was recorded as a suggestion to improve the current job quoting system. I think a feature like the
... See more
Thanks for clarifying, Sheila. I see what you mean.

It looks like you brought this up in another forum post here: http://www.proz.com/post/2082740#2082740

At the time, your idea for a feature which would allow the details of a job posting to be sent to a quoter via email was recorded as a suggestion to improve the current job quoting system. I think a feature like the one you describe in that post ("you should be able to also store those job adverts that you quoted for by email") would help to resolve the issue you mention here.

I will be sure to keep you updated as to the status of that suggestion.

Please let me know if you have questions.

Best regards,

Maria
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Thanks, Maria Sep 3, 2014

Glad to hear that a record of that suggestion has been kept. I look forward to its implementation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

There is no longer a job posting with this ID.

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »