Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Revision rate: 2000 words per hour - really?
Thread poster: Ramunas Kontrimas
Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:22
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I never quote for more than 1000 words an hour... Oct 26, 2016

... and I may quote for less, if I suspect that even 1000 words an hour is too many.

However, the texts I work with are often short, so I may simply quote a flat rate, based on the number of pages or my knowledge of the translator or other factors.

But I still use the tactic of quoting a high rate, to get clients used to the idea that it could take me that much time, and then rounding down slightly.

Kaiya J. Diannen
Kaiya J. Diannen  Identity Verified
Australia
German to English
This Oct 26, 2016

Christine Andersen wrote:

... and I may quote for less, if I suspect that even 1000 words an hour is too many.

I'd like to add/admit I slightly misunderstood Christine's original post (never speed-read through a revision, never speed-read through a colleague's post either!), and that her clarification (which shouldn't have been necessary - my bad!) puts us squarely and 100% on the same page.

Ivan Sokil (X)
Ivan Sokil (X)
Portugal
Local time: 08:22
German to Portuguese
+ ...
I agree. May 13, 2017

Merab Dekano wrote:

When target needs to be compared with source to check for mistakes, mistranslations, omissions, register shift, etc., I call it editing. 1,000 – 1,500 words an hour is more realistic, provided most of the translated text is of an acceptable quality.

I call monolingual work proofreading. No source is needed, unless you do not understand something. This must be a third step (following translation and editing). Not everybody is doing it. In fact, some LSPs only translate (which seems more like ‘kamikaze’ practice to me). Provided you only accept text you are familiar with, you can do even 3,000 words an hour. 2,000 seems more than realistic to me.

[Edited at 2016-10-25 18:57 GMT]

Whenever I conclude a translation, I compare it with the source text to check for mistakes, inconsistencies in terminology, etc., and from my experience, I usually manage editing/revising speeds of 750-1250 words per hour, which is quite distant from what you might expect for proofreading, as you referred.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Revision rate: 2000 words per hour - really?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »