Alessandra Armenise  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:05
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
Oct 14, 2016

Hello everybody,
When doing a revision of a translation do you use tables with both versions or add side comments? Or use other methods like edits tracking?

Thanks!

Christian christian@nielsen-palacios.com
Christian [email protected]
United States
Local time: 19:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
I love tables Oct 14, 2016

If the client lets me, I like using tables. Fortunately, most of my clients like them too. But then I also use "track changes".

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 01:05
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Track changes Oct 14, 2016

I use track changes wherever possible, and comments as well if relevant, especially if the client has commented and needs answers.
I deliver a 'RED' file with the changes visible and a ' CLEAN' file, in which all my changes have been accepted, comments removed, and 'Track changes' deactivated.

While working I often make deleted sections invisible, so that the text I can see is the final text, with additions marked in red. Then I change the setting to deletions crossed through
... See more
I use track changes wherever possible, and comments as well if relevant, especially if the client has commented and needs answers.
I deliver a 'RED' file with the changes visible and a ' CLEAN' file, in which all my changes have been accepted, comments removed, and 'Track changes' deactivated.

While working I often make deleted sections invisible, so that the text I can see is the final text, with additions marked in red. Then I change the setting to deletions crossed through before delivery.

That way clients can see what I have done, and reject or query changes if they want to, but there is a file ready for use immediately if they are happy with that.

I only use tables if I have the text in a PDF, or cannot use tracked changes, AND if I am paid by the hour: it is much more time consuming.
I tend to turn down that kind of job these days, because there is usually an extra table asking me to classify all the 'errors', and I find this kind of exercise is largely a waste of time.

Instead I prefer to make specific comments where appropriate. It is not helpful to tell a translator there is a serious error and three minor issues somewhere in the text and leave her to guess where. Far better to point them out and explain them! That is how I learnt from having my work checked!
Collapse

Alessandra Armenise
Alessandra Armenise  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:05
Member (2016)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Regarding tables Oct 14, 2016

If the client lets me, I like using tables.

Apparently, I need to use tables for this particular job! Do you make a simple 2 columns table yourself (or 3 for adding comments) or do you use any pre-existing templates?

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Revision table or comments?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »