Ata Arif  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:50
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know from his unprofessional approach Sep 29, 2016

I know from his unprofessional approach and I was always right
I just said he might take a lesson after two or three answers like the one blow but he did not:
Hello Ata!

Hope you are having a good day.

Further our emails yesterday, I have had a review by a third translator:

I have to be completely honest, I agree with the translator's original translation. I don't agree with the reviewer s comments. To my knowledge and understanding, he's
... See more
I know from his unprofessional approach and I was always right
I just said he might take a lesson after two or three answers like the one blow but he did not:
Hello Ata!

Hope you are having a good day.

Further our emails yesterday, I have had a review by a third translator:

I have to be completely honest, I agree with the translator's original translation. I don't agree with the reviewer s comments. To my knowledge and understanding, he's done a pretty good job and i wouldn't have it differently.

So my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused by the first reviewer’s feedback. You have showed a very professional attitude and we have appreciated it from the start.

We are definitely looking forward to work with you again soon.

Thank you very much!
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
@ Lingua 5B Sep 29, 2016

Lingua 5B wrote:
@Sheila, I don't think it's out of the OP's native language, as he stated in his examples "e.g.(as if it was English)", which means his examples are just parallels in English for us to understand the editing style.

To be honest, I was just wanting to be sure. The OP does give into-English translation as his principal service, after all.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 11:50
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Yes, I get it. Sep 29, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:
@Sheila, I don't think it's out of the OP's native language, as he stated in his examples "e.g.(as if it was English)", which means his examples are just parallels in English for us to understand the editing style.

To be honest, I was just wanting to be sure. The OP does give into-English translation as his principal service, after all.

I saw that service at the top as well, so I could assume why you inquired.

[Edited at 2016-09-29 15:52 GMT]

Ata Arif
Ata Arif  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Kurdish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This task was into my native language Sep 29, 2016

I had to give some more information as I also do translation into English and I never had such issues as I consider the proofreader and editor's suggestions and corrections as part of my life long learning, as for into English I mostly get feedback from English speaking in house reviewers of the agencies and I am pleased with that.
for other work and for other proofreaders I never had any issues and more or less it was fine but this case is different and I hope he learns something from thi
... See more
I had to give some more information as I also do translation into English and I never had such issues as I consider the proofreader and editor's suggestions and corrections as part of my life long learning, as for into English I mostly get feedback from English speaking in house reviewers of the agencies and I am pleased with that.
for other work and for other proofreaders I never had any issues and more or less it was fine but this case is different and I hope he learns something from this forum or similar ones and if not I shall consider sending emails to all interpreters in my language pair first as the first step and if he continued I may not have any other choice apart from naming and shaming that person through another route obviously as I cannot do it here.
Collapse

Patrice
Patrice  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:50
French to English
+ ...
Justifying their usefulness Sep 30, 2016

It may be of no consolation to the OP, but I think many translators have encountered this to a greater or lesser degree. Proofreaders want to demonstrate their value and retain clients. I think some want to make their mark (pun, haha) and not be forgotten the next time the client is looking for a translator. One has to continue to produce impeccable, supportable translations, be 100% reliable and cultivate close working relationships with clients (and with proofreaders, if possible). Not to say ... See more
It may be of no consolation to the OP, but I think many translators have encountered this to a greater or lesser degree. Proofreaders want to demonstrate their value and retain clients. I think some want to make their mark (pun, haha) and not be forgotten the next time the client is looking for a translator. One has to continue to produce impeccable, supportable translations, be 100% reliable and cultivate close working relationships with clients (and with proofreaders, if possible). Not to say this will prevent you from encountering the issue....Collapse

sailingshoes
sailingshoes
Local time: 11:50
Spanish to English
Just to be clear Sep 30, 2016

What you're describing isn't 'proofreading' (i.e. " reading of a galley proof or an electronic copy of a publication to detect and correct production errors of text or art"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proofreading) but rather revision or reviewing.

[Modificato alle 2016-09-30 12:50 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:50
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Calling out the reviewer Sep 30, 2016

Sometimes you have to be firm and call out the proofreader/reviewer. I had one case where a reviewer sent a long letter to the client saying my translation was no good, but it was clear to me that the reviewer was out of his depth - it was a technical document on a subject that I had years of experience with and the reviewer completely misunderstood the subject. I pointed out the misunderstanding and politely told the client the reviewer didn't know what he was talking about and the client acc... See more
Sometimes you have to be firm and call out the proofreader/reviewer. I had one case where a reviewer sent a long letter to the client saying my translation was no good, but it was clear to me that the reviewer was out of his depth - it was a technical document on a subject that I had years of experience with and the reviewer completely misunderstood the subject. I pointed out the misunderstanding and politely told the client the reviewer didn't know what he was talking about and the client accepted my explanation.

[Edited at 2016-09-30 20:14 GMT]
Collapse

William Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

unjustifiable criticism of translations done by other translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »