Irina Komoliatova
Irina Komoliatova  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:53
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
Jul 15, 2016

Hello to everyone!
I am new to Worfast and I need to proofread a docx.tmlx.doc file. When I open it in Wordfast Pro (free version), I can see the source text and the translation in the Source column. The target column remains empty. Should it be like this? How do I proofread the file?
Thank you in advance.

Andriy Yasharov
Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 17:53
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
segmentation Jul 15, 2016

The file most probably has not been properly segmented. Normally there should be a source piece of text on the left and a target one on the right. The free version allows you to proofread and to translate as well.

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

.txml.doc??? Jul 15, 2016

Just wondering, has the file been exported as a .doc already? In this case just open in MS Word.

Wordfast files are .txml, if it ends in .doc then it's a word file.

I'm guessing you might be trying to open the exported bilingual file with Wordfast, which is leading it to treat it as a whole new translatable source file (with both source and translated source in the left column).

Irina Komoliatova
Irina Komoliatova  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:53
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bilingual file Jul 15, 2016

DJHartmann wrote:

Just wondering, has the file been exported as a .doc already? In this case just open in MS Word.

Wordfast files are .txml, if it ends in .doc then it's a word file.

I'm guessing you might be trying to open the exported bilingual file with Wordfast, which is leading it to treat it as a whole new translatable source file (with both source and translated source in the left column).

You were right. It was the exported bilingual file. Fortunately, the PM had also sent me the original source text and the remote TM. So, I did the next:
I opened the source file in Wordfast and then I copied the proofread target text in the Target column. It took me more time than I thought, but at least I finished the proofreading and got the TXML file.
All the best,
Irina.

[Edited at 2016-07-15 22:14 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading in Wordfast PRO

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »