Is there a service to get permission to quote prose passages?
Thread poster: Jennifer Rengachary
Jennifer Rengachary
Jennifer Rengachary
United States
Local time: 14:04
Spanish to English
Jun 8, 2016

I am editing book chapters for a client. She will need permission from publishers/authors for several long prose passages and figures that she is planning to use in her book. Is there a paid service that will undertake this process on behalf of the author?

We looked at the Copyright Clearance Center, but it doesn't seem to have permissions available for most of the sources that we ne
... See more
I am editing book chapters for a client. She will need permission from publishers/authors for several long prose passages and figures that she is planning to use in her book. Is there a paid service that will undertake this process on behalf of the author?

We looked at the Copyright Clearance Center, but it doesn't seem to have permissions available for most of the sources that we need.
http://www.copyright.com/

The sources are mainly psychology and biology textbooks and research articles. Any suggestions are welcome!
Collapse

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:04
German to English
never heard of one Jun 9, 2016

I'm not saying one doesn't exist, but I've never heard of one. I just write directly to the publisher. It's a pretty informal process in my experience.

If I were editing the book, I would volunteer to do it for her for a fee (you can decide whether it's per source or per hour). All you need to do is write an e-mail to the publisher and follow up if you don't hear back. If you can show a good faith effort to try to get permission (save and document the e-mails you send), then even if
... See more
I'm not saying one doesn't exist, but I've never heard of one. I just write directly to the publisher. It's a pretty informal process in my experience.

If I were editing the book, I would volunteer to do it for her for a fee (you can decide whether it's per source or per hour). All you need to do is write an e-mail to the publisher and follow up if you don't hear back. If you can show a good faith effort to try to get permission (save and document the e-mails you send), then even if you never hear back from someone you should be ok. That's how it was explained to me, anyway, and I've never had any problems doing it. The most annoying thing is figuring out who to contact, but most publishers have a general address you can write to and they'll forward it to the right person if you can't figure it out from their website.

[Edited at 2016-06-09 12:39 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:04
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Direct contact Jun 9, 2016

I haven't heard of one, either, but never looked into it. Whenever I needed permission to use anything, I either contacted the publisher or the author. This method might seem a little time consuming, - depending on how many people she needs to contact - but it's a safe way.

In one case I never received a reply. However, the letter (request for permission) contained a clearly visible sentence in regards to a "silent" permission will be granted in case there is no negative reply to m
... See more
I haven't heard of one, either, but never looked into it. Whenever I needed permission to use anything, I either contacted the publisher or the author. This method might seem a little time consuming, - depending on how many people she needs to contact - but it's a safe way.

In one case I never received a reply. However, the letter (request for permission) contained a clearly visible sentence in regards to a "silent" permission will be granted in case there is no negative reply to my request. Never had any problems with possible copyright infringements.. because all passages were used based on either form of permission.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
She can also Jun 10, 2016

put a disclaimer saying that every attempt has been made to contact the copyright holders, and if anyone believes that their copyright has been breached, they should contact her/the publisher. That should get her off the hook if people don't reply.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is there a service to get permission to quote prose passages?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »