Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:35
German to English
+ ...
Squealing @Adrian Mar 29, 2016

Adrian MM. wrote:

By the same token, 10 years' old has - like the word disinterested going from non-partisan to uninterested - turned into a set expression by habit and idomatic use cf. the set theory in lingusitics

https://www.um.edu.mt/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/84313/ffLecture1.pdf

[Edited at 2016-03-28 19:57 GMT]

Adrian, are you saying "10 years' old" is now accepted correct usage? Bah.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 22:35
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I have to admit... Mar 29, 2016

... that I have to check apostrophes, in everything I write, but I have never been in doubt about this one.

10 years old, no apostrophe,

10 years' experience with.

One reason is that my source language adds 's' without an apostrophe as a standard possessive, and it may even be the same word in some cases.

As I explain to clients, logic is not always applicable to English, or it may depend on which logical approach you are applying! It may be q
... See more
... that I have to check apostrophes, in everything I write, but I have never been in doubt about this one.

10 years old, no apostrophe,

10 years' experience with.

One reason is that my source language adds 's' without an apostrophe as a standard possessive, and it may even be the same word in some cases.

As I explain to clients, logic is not always applicable to English, or it may depend on which logical approach you are applying! It may be quite logical to English natives, but the logic is different in Danish.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Right and wrong Mar 29, 2016

10 years' old is ALWAYS WRONG

10 years old is correct.

Adrian Hernandez
Adrian Hernandez  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
My take on the issue Mar 29, 2016

Regarding this issue, it is my understanding that apostrophes are used in phrases such as four days' time where the time period (four days) modifies a noun (time), but not in four weeks old, where the time period (three weeks) modifies an adjective (old).

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
Definitely 10 years old Mar 29, 2016

After all, you wouldn't say "one year's old".

In 10 years' time is correct (because it's 10 years of time - genitive case).

To check that this is right, imagine if it was "in one year's time". Sounds right, doesn't it? You wouldn't say "in one year time".

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Mildly concerned Mar 29, 2016

that there is even a discussion about this

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:05
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Leg pulling Mar 29, 2016

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:
Or how do you see it?

I was simply pulling the leg of cocksure native speakers who proverbially never err. I was having my moment of fun at their discomfiture and fallibility.

Of course, I have doubts and uncertainities about my own languages, and quite often too. I have been in the language business long enough to know that grammar is a tricky beast which takes more than a life-time to tame. The sad thing is, many don't realize this and jump into stereotypes about the perfect linguist (read native speaker).

This provided a not-to-be-missed opportunity to put them in their place.

You will no doubt forgive me for seizing this opportunity with both hands.

---
Regarding 10 minutes walk, I see 10 minutes not as a unit of time, but as of distance - the distance covered by walking for 10 minutes. So this construction is similar to -

4 kilometre walk - a walk that is 4 km long

It won't be 4 kilometre's walk.

[Edited at 2016-03-29 17:01 GMT]

Richard Purdom
Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
bandwagonningism Mar 29, 2016

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:
Or how do you see it?

I was simply pulling the leg of cocksure native speakers who proverbially never err. I was having my moment of fun at their discomfiture and fallibility.

Of course, I have doubts and uncertainities about my own languages, and quite often too. I have been in the language business long enough to know that grammar is a tricky beast which takes more than a life-time to tame. The sad thing is, many don't realize this and jump into stereotypes about the perfect linguist (read native speaker).

This provided a not-to-be-missed opportunity to put them in their place.

You will no doubt forgive me for seizing this opportunity with both hands.

[Edited at 2016-03-29 17:01 GMT]

It's a bit sad to note that you see this as an opportunity to continue with what must be a personal crusade.

Native speakers don't usually have 'perfect grammar' because we don't spend our whole lives studying it. However, we can string a sentence together which doesn't sound weird to other natives, even if it does miss a greengrocer's/greengrocers/greengrocers' apostrophe or two. You have to ask yourself what hinders communication more, but maybe you could start another thread on this.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Doesnt work [sic] Mar 29, 2016

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
Regarding 10 minutes walk, I see 10 minutes not as a unit of time, but as of distance - the distance covered by walking for 10 minutes. So this construction is similar to -

4 kilometre walk - a walk that is 4 km long

In that case it would be a 10 minute walk, or a 10-minute walk.

I'm afraid you cannot have 10 minutes walk without an apostrophe. That's just wrong.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Grammar: possessive apostrophe in 'years old'

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »