Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 00:05
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Sep 30, 2015

I do a lot of proofreading of bilingual files (from CAT tools) for agencies. When they do not accept my rate, they often write "you do not have to look at repetitions".
My questions: What are repetitions? Why could they not be repetitions of the same error, lack, stylistic inconvenience, etc.?

Thanks for your comments.
Rolf

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 01:05
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
... Sep 30, 2015

Repetitions usually propagate forward. But, you are right, they sometimes require different translations.
The only way is to apply factors to the total count.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:05
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
"you do not have to look at repetitions" - Exactly the opposite Sep 30, 2015

In general, the entire document, including repetitions should be looked at during the final editing/proofreading step. That is the whole point of proofreading.
They think if you are using a CAT-tool, and correct an error in the first instance, the correction will carry over to all the repetitions, so you have nothing to do. Well, this is incorrect, because first of all, not all CAT-tools do that automatically (or at all) at the proofreading phase, and secondly (more importantly) the contex
... See more
In general, the entire document, including repetitions should be looked at during the final editing/proofreading step. That is the whole point of proofreading.
They think if you are using a CAT-tool, and correct an error in the first instance, the correction will carry over to all the repetitions, so you have nothing to do. Well, this is incorrect, because first of all, not all CAT-tools do that automatically (or at all) at the proofreading phase, and secondly (more importantly) the context could be entirely different, requiring a different target sentence. Just to give an example: the English greeting "Welcome!" (popular for website landing pages) can be translated into Hungarian at least 4 different ways, depending on the target audience and the communication style of the website. I have had jobs where part of the text had to be written in formal register, and others in informal. Entire sentences that were identical in English (therefore recognized as repetitions) had to be modified to fit the context.
I avoid agencies where they would want to skip this important step.

[Edited at 2015-09-30 13:22 GMT]
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 05:05
English to Thai
+ ...
Repetition is a fault Sep 30, 2015

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

Entire sentences that were identical in English (therefore recognized as repetitions) had to be modified to fit the context.
I avoid agencies where they would want to skip this important step.

This is a fallacy. A big machinery company in UK ignored my warning about repetitions. Their translation was correct with regard to TM and QA checking but too poor as the natural style of target language.

Soonthon L.

Rolf Kern
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Katalin Sep 30, 2015

"They think if you are using a CAT-tool, and correct an error in the first instance, the correction will carry over to all the repetitions, so you have nothing to do."

They know in every case, that I do not use a CAT tool. That's the reason, why I only work into bilingual Word files.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-09-30 13:40 GMT]

Rolf Kern
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Sergei Sep 30, 2015

That's what I do. I calculate my rate always based on the total word count. Thus the discrepancy with the so-called "budget" of the agencies.

Rolf

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Repetitions Sep 30, 2015

What might be a repetition in one language, might mean something completely different in the target language. When agencies ask me for discounts, for the very same reasons Rolf stated, I always inform them about the two different understanding of "repetitions" in 2 different languages. If they ask me to "not look at repetitions", I politely reject the job.

A while back one client kept coming back, urging me to accept the (by then urgent) job. I kept rejecting it. In the end, he was
... See more
What might be a repetition in one language, might mean something completely different in the target language. When agencies ask me for discounts, for the very same reasons Rolf stated, I always inform them about the two different understanding of "repetitions" in 2 different languages. If they ask me to "not look at repetitions", I politely reject the job.

A while back one client kept coming back, urging me to accept the (by then urgent) job. I kept rejecting it. In the end, he was willing to pay an hourly rate, which made looking at repetitions irrelevant.

The simple word "engagement" can be translated in about 5 different ways, each with its own meaning, which might not have anything to do with the source text and what it tries to convey. So when an agency wants a thoroughly proofread/revised file, then they either pay an hourly rate (which is best for both parties) or one that covers the total work count.

Not looking at repetitions, btw., is in violation of any translation standard. If the agency wants a mediocre document, well, then it should find a proofreader who doesn't care.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What are repetitions Sep 30, 2015

Rolf Kern wrote:
When they do not accept my rate, they often write "you do not have to look at repetitions". My questions: What are repetitions?

A repetition is a segment that is identical to another segment somewhere in the file.

How you should deal with repetitions would depend on the exact format that you get the file in, and/or on what CAT tool the client uses to create the file that you're proofreading. Some CAT tools can mark repetitions in a different colour (then you can ask the client if it's helpful if you simply delete the entire segment, or or if you should simply leave the repetition alone).

Unfortunately I know of no macro or too that can mark repetitions for you in e.g. MS Word, but such a tool would be ideal for you, who do not use CAT tools.

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:05
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Autopropagation limitations Sep 30, 2015

Rolf Kern wrote:

"They think if you are using a CAT-tool, and correct an error in the first instance, the correction will carry over to all the repetitions, so you have nothing to do."

[Bearbeitet am 2015-09-30 13:40 GMT]

Even so:
1) You still have go to through the entire text and visually identify any repetitions, which takes time, and may take as much time a proofreading them anyway, and
2) Autopropagation usually only works within the same file. If there are multiple files, the repetitions won't propagate across files. There are workarounds in some tools, but these take extra time as well.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:05
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
In that case they are either morons or think you are a pushover Oct 1, 2015

Rolf Kern wrote:

They know in every case, that I do not use a CAT tool. That's the reason, why I only work into bilingual Word files.

Talking about repetitions and how to handle them makes absolutely no sense when no CAT-tool is used.

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
My opinion Oct 1, 2015

Agencies should just remove from the file anything that shouldn't be translated.

Rolf Kern
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
@Alvaro Oct 1, 2015

Good suggestion, but however in my case it is not about translation but proofreading of a translation.
Rolf

[Bearbeitet am 2015-10-01 08:22 GMT]

PatrickMoreschi
PatrickMoreschi
United States
Local time: 16:05
Translation Oct 28, 2015

I Agree with Katalin Horváth McClure. Not every CAT-tools proofread file mechanically as the context could be entirely different, requiring a different target sentence. Operating with this translation tool means that the effort & time that translators must invest in their work is directly related to the level of coincidence with the content of the translation memory. I think, some CAT tools can be configured to skip segments that have already been translated. But if you skip them altogether, yo... See more
I Agree with Katalin Horváth McClure. Not every CAT-tools proofread file mechanically as the context could be entirely different, requiring a different target sentence. Operating with this translation tool means that the effort & time that translators must invest in their work is directly related to the level of coincidence with the content of the translation memory. I think, some CAT tools can be configured to skip segments that have already been translated. But if you skip them altogether, you are not translating a text, but a list of disjointed segments. This can be counted as a drawback. If we print our text at some stage and read it on paper with a translator, there would be less chances of repetitive errors. This is generally a good practice.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Proofreading practice: Repetitions

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »