Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What is your experience with proofreading/feedback from agencies?
Thread poster: Leanne Leroy
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:14
English to Polish
+ ...
... Apr 25, 2015

Proofreading and verification are rare these days but not necessarily as rare as they may seem.

On the other hand, their quality tends to leave at least something, often a large something, to be desired.

As for feedback, it tends to be unprofessional, e.g.: 'The client said there were some mistakes. Please translate more diligently next time,' and other thoughtless remarks like that.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:14
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
That was the reason Apr 27, 2015

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

Do they expect and do you go through the whole document each time to check and double check the changes? Wouldn't that be quite time consuming and do you charge for the time?

I used to provide my services to an agency that had won several EU bids. In the beginning, all was fine. Later, they introduced their new QA system.
And:
yes - they demanded to go through the entire text after proofreading;
yes - it was awfully time consuming, not only because of the double reading the same document but also because of the request to ground my choices, as - that was already pointed out here by other translators - some proofreaders were making serious grammar, logics, style, etc. mistakes;
no - the agency didn't add a penny for this lengthy additional work.
So, there a day came where one of my translations was sent back after proofreading: half was with a preferential suggestion here and there, and the other half was fully in red. When I started looking at that "red" half... And found myself obliged, by the agency policy, to give a comment and find and quote basic grammar rules for the illiterate "corrections"... That was the day where enough was enough.

I mostly appreciate that my clientes do their own proofreading and send me questions when they have such.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Specific questions, or I ignore them Apr 27, 2015

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz wrote:
As for feedback, it tends to be unprofessional, e.g.: 'The client said there were some mistakes. Please translate more diligently next time,' and other thoughtless remarks like that.

If a client sends me a remark like that, I ask for precise details. I can't translate 'more diligently' than I already do. Still, everything (almost) can be said in several ways, and perhaps I can find a way the client likes better if I know precisely what did not sound right to them.

If there were mistakes, I want to know where, and correct them specifically.

Just guessing is impossible. If no one comes back with a specific answer, then I refuse to do anything about their comments.

Jean-Christophe Duc
Jean-Christophe Duc  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Not always to viewed negatively... Apr 28, 2015

... few people like to receive "feedback" unless it is dithyrambic of course, yet they should be viewed as way to improve.
Usually feedback is more common in marketing documents, technical documentation rarely have any stylistic challenges.
At first, I took any form of comments sternly, then I started to look at them differently.
It actually led me to pinpoint a few areas of improvement, and I feel all the better for it. After all, nobody is perfect.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is your experience with proofreading/feedback from agencies?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »