Vietnam
Local time: 14:27
Vietnamese
+ ...
Aug 2, 2013

Dear All,

Please can you advise. Thanks.

Phong

"I’ve just placed out the translation & editing part. Do you think you can take the QM part afterwards? I assume will get the edited file ready for your QM by today."

[Edited at 2013-08-02 02:54 GMT]

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:27
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
QM Aug 2, 2013

Hi Phong,

The QM job for this outsourcer (I know, who is this as I also work for them) includes the following:
you open the TXML and check the spelling, formatting, tags, numbers, punctuation and all other things like this. Of course, if you would notice any error or mistranslation you should correct it as well.

After this you either convert the TXML into the native format (like DOC, XLS, etc.) or upload the checked files, and the PM will convert them for you. Yo
... See more
Hi Phong,

The QM job for this outsourcer (I know, who is this as I also work for them) includes the following:
you open the TXML and check the spelling, formatting, tags, numbers, punctuation and all other things like this. Of course, if you would notice any error or mistranslation you should correct it as well.

After this you either convert the TXML into the native format (like DOC, XLS, etc.) or upload the checked files, and the PM will convert them for you. You should further check the final file for such things as bold, italics, highlights, missing translation in text boxes etc. They will send you a detailed instruction, by the way.

HTH,
Natalia
P.S. Moving the thread to the Proofreading / Editing forum.

[Edited at 2013-08-02 08:34 GMT]
Collapse

Phong Le
Phong Le  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 14:27
Vietnamese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
part of or a repeat of Proofread/Editing job? Aug 5, 2013

Many thanks Natalie,

To me, it sounds like part of or a repeat of Proofread/Editing job?

Many cases, when I am assigned to do just Proofread/Editing, I also do all of that work for my Client.

Phong

Elina Sellgren
Elina Sellgren  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 10:27
Member (2013)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Also working for this company Aug 5, 2013

Sometimes it seems like the roles of proofreader and QM are not that different though. If as a QM you notice that there is mistranslated terminology or bad grammar, you should notify the project manager. Heavy editing should not be needed at the QM phase so if you find that you're making a lot of such corrections, the text should go back to the proofreader or translator. It's really important to notify the PM in such cases because it can affect your working time a great deal.

John Wally Gomez

Benedita Nhambiu
Benedita Nhambiu  Identity Verified
Mozambique
Local time: 09:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Meaning of QM Mar 30, 2015

Thank you all contributors of this thread. All your comments have been useful to me!
Best!

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:27
Dutch to English
+ ...
Ask them Mar 30, 2015

Clarify with the agency what they mean by QM as expectations can vary - agencies often have a set of guidelines for their revisors that they can send you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What do I have to do, for a QM job?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »