Andrejs Gorbunovs  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:27
Member (2013)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Mar 28, 2017

Hello!

On a path for self-improvement I have decided to read a book on business aspects of translation.

I have read plenty on "theoretical" aspects of our trade, thus now I would like to read more about the "business" aspect of freelance translator's work & life.

I would be grateful for suggestions on any good books worth to read, since there are many books with catchy titles that provide only superficial advice (spam the agencies & direct clients with your
... See more
Hello!

On a path for self-improvement I have decided to read a book on business aspects of translation.

I have read plenty on "theoretical" aspects of our trade, thus now I would like to read more about the "business" aspect of freelance translator's work & life.

I would be grateful for suggestions on any good books worth to read, since there are many books with catchy titles that provide only superficial advice (spam the agencies & direct clients with your CV and you should be good someday).

The perfect book should be written by professionals for professionals.

Thank you for your time!

[Edited at 2017-03-28 12:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-03-28 12:55 GMT]
Collapse

María Diehn
María Diehn  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Business Guide for Translators by Marta Stelmaszak Mar 28, 2017

You will find here a book review by David Friedman that could be useful. : The Business Guide for Translators" by Marta Stelmaszak.

https://atasavvynewcomer.org/2016/05/10/book-review-business-guide-for-translators/

Best regards,

María

Andrejs Gorbunovs
Andrejs Gorbunovs  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:27
Member (2013)
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Mar 29, 2017

María Diehn wrote:

You will find here a book review by David Friedman that could be useful. : The Business Guide for Translators" by Marta Stelmaszak.

https://atasavvynewcomer.org/2016/05/10/book-review-business-guide-for-translators/

Best regards,

María

Dear María, thank you!

The review looks promising, will include this book in my list.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to read for further development?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »