Thread poster: Catherine Woodsmith
Catherine Woodsmith
Catherine Woodsmith
Local time: 09:32
French to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2016

Hello,
I am a teacher wishing to move into a career in translation. To do so I would like to study a part-time distance MA while still working. I am trying to decide between Birmingham, Bristol and Portsmouth and would like to know which would stand me in better stead in terms of employability. As far as I know, Birmingham and Bristol are more academically respected institutions. Birmingham and Portsmouth have EMT accreditation but Bristol does not. Bristol's course has ITI accreditation.
... See more
Hello,
I am a teacher wishing to move into a career in translation. To do so I would like to study a part-time distance MA while still working. I am trying to decide between Birmingham, Bristol and Portsmouth and would like to know which would stand me in better stead in terms of employability. As far as I know, Birmingham and Bristol are more academically respected institutions. Birmingham and Portsmouth have EMT accreditation but Bristol does not. Bristol's course has ITI accreditation. Does anyone know if either EMT or ITI if more widely recognised / respected or are they much of a muchness? Has anyone had a particularly good/bad experience during or after studying any of these courses? I am a little put off Birmingham as it is a few thousand pounds more expensive than the other two and it doesn't seem as flexible in terms of modules but Birmingham is the highest of the three in UK University rankings.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated,
Cat
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 09:32
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Are you going to be looking for a job? Aug 15, 2016

Cat_Smith wrote:
I would like to study a part-time distance MA while still working. I am trying to decide between Birmingham, Bristol and Portsmouth and would like to know which would stand me in better stead in terms of employability.

There are very few translators who are employed nowadays. I know employers often care about rankings etc, but if you're going to be self-employed then I don't believe that 99.9% of potential clients will care where you did your training. They're interested in whether you can handle their translation well, for a price they can afford and before the agreed deadline. That's all.

Many of us who have already had one or more careers before entering the world of translation don't even consider university education to be worthwhile for us. Not that it's worthless, of course. The less experience you have in using the two (or more) languages professionally, the more important the qualification is for your CV (or whatever you care to call your marketing document). If you've been using French and Italian in a professional and/or life situation for years, while teaching English, then you really only need to get familiar with a few basic techniques. You can learn them from the type of course I did (see my profile). Maybe more important to you would be getting to grips with self-employment and how to run a business? Not that that's as difficult in the UK from the administrative side as it is in some other countries.

EMT and/or ITI Nov 1, 2016

I would say that if an MA has some form of professional link, then that is a good thing. Whether it is EMT, ITI or something else. It usually means that the MA aims to train students for the industry and may have a stronger focus on technology and the practical aspects of the translation business/industry than other MAs which may be more literary or theoretical. It depends what you are more interested in.

Do not necessarily discount a university without EMT, as the process of applyi
... See more
I would say that if an MA has some form of professional link, then that is a good thing. Whether it is EMT, ITI or something else. It usually means that the MA aims to train students for the industry and may have a stronger focus on technology and the practical aspects of the translation business/industry than other MAs which may be more literary or theoretical. It depends what you are more interested in.

Do not necessarily discount a university without EMT, as the process of applying for this is every 4 or 5 years, so a new programme may not get a chance to apply for membership straight away.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MA in translation comparison EMT vs ITI

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »