Thread poster: Graham Perra
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Translation Studies and meal tickets Jun 12, 2016

I agree with both Jeff and The Misha regarding the questionable importance of degrees in translation. What such programs mainly provide (as far as I can see) is a vocabulary for describing how translation works. Having such a vocabulary is hardly a sine qua non for being a good translator.

Regarding Graham's particular query (now ramified across three separate threads) I have to say that I am highly skeptical of the notion of any degree or certificate assuring a future of sun
... See more
I agree with both Jeff and The Misha regarding the questionable importance of degrees in translation. What such programs mainly provide (as far as I can see) is a vocabulary for describing how translation works. Having such a vocabulary is hardly a sine qua non for being a good translator.

Regarding Graham's particular query (now ramified across three separate threads) I have to say that I am highly skeptical of the notion of any degree or certificate assuring a future of sunshine and rainbows for a freelance translator. There are simply too many market forces depressing rates to sustain such a fantasy.

[Edited at 2016-06-12 16:53 GMT]
Collapse

Preston Decker
Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:46
Chinese to English
The cost Jun 13, 2016

Robert Forstag wrote:

Regarding Graham's particular query (now ramified across three separate threads) I have to say that I am highly skeptical of the notion of any degree or certificate assuring a future of sunshine and rainbows for a freelance translator. There are simply too many market forces depressing rates to sustain such a fantasy.

[Edited at 2016-06-12 16:53 GMT]

Agree, but because of the cost, not the value, of obtaining a degree in translation. If the OP could attend an MA on a full scholarship, work part-time, and come out of the program with a bit of money saved, I'm pretty sure he'd be in a better position to begin translating than he is now. But this seems unlikely. Debt is the enemy of freelancers, and Graham is probably looking at about 18 months of low income once he begins translating, so every penny is going to count.

If a degree in a technical field is not possible, my advice would be for Graham to choose whatever option allows him to get his language proficiency to a professional level with the least financial input required (unless his financial situation is much better than most starting out).

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking insight and advice on where to study translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »