Looking for advice: which degree to choose?
Thread poster: potosi
potosi
potosi
United States
Jul 21, 2014

Hi!

at the moment I'm having a very hard time choosing a Master's Programme. I'm English A, Portuguese B and French C. At first I was set on becoming an interpreter but after much thought I decided the career would be too stressful for my personality and decided on translation instead.

However, part of me still is so interested in interpreting. So though I was at first dedicated to obtaining an MA in Translation (the programme is an EMT member), I am now wondering abo
... See more
Hi!

at the moment I'm having a very hard time choosing a Master's Programme. I'm English A, Portuguese B and French C. At first I was set on becoming an interpreter but after much thought I decided the career would be too stressful for my personality and decided on translation instead.

However, part of me still is so interested in interpreting. So though I was at first dedicated to obtaining an MA in Translation (the programme is an EMT member), I am now wondering about getting an MA in Business Translation with Interpreting because I imagine it'll be less overwhelming than a pure interpreting programme. The programme mixes business translation with some interpreting courses and sounds very interesting, but I'm afraid that if I signed up and flew over to the UK I may totally regret my decision if it's wildly difficult!

Also, the only reason I'm interested in the Business Translation with Interpreting MA is if that programme would allow me to possibly freelance as an interpreter. Would clients be open to hiring someone with that certification?

Any opinions are greatly appreciated
Collapse

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:25
Russian to English
+ ...
Hi. Business translation, if you are interstate in business translation, might be a good idea Jul 21, 2014

, or you may just as well study a business program in your target language. Otherwise, I would recommend studying English as your major, or journalism, and just keeping up with the other languages.

As to interpreting--the problem is not as simple. Business interpreting might be even more difficult than other types of interpreting., I would not recommend studying translation with interpreting at the same time, or as a part of the same program, if they had anything like that at all
... See more
, or you may just as well study a business program in your target language. Otherwise, I would recommend studying English as your major, or journalism, and just keeping up with the other languages.

As to interpreting--the problem is not as simple. Business interpreting might be even more difficult than other types of interpreting., I would not recommend studying translation with interpreting at the same time, or as a part of the same program, if they had anything like that at all.

[Edited at 2014-07-21 12:09 GMT]
Collapse

potosi
potosi
United States
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the reply, Lillian. Jul 21, 2014

I actually already have a Bachelor's degree in French and am looking for an MA programme. I am basically looking for whatever would make me more marketable thus my interest in a combined business translation/interpreting programme. It does concern me, though, that you stated your concern on the difficulty of such a combined programme since it's that which I was worried about.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for advice: which degree to choose?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »