Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use the Pomodoro Technique to manage your time?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Melissa McMahon
Melissa McMahon  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 05:17
French to English
New name, old principle Mar 29, 2016

Just as the effectiveness of every new diet seems to boil down to "cut out the junk", this technique seems to boil down to "cut down your work into manageable chunks and take regular breaks". Ie, it's about being sensible with a tomato egg timer on the side, so to speak.

That said, we all find it hard to be sensible and if a tomato egg timer is the little talisman that keeps you on the straight and narrow, all power to you.

Melissa

hamani56 (X)
hamani56 (X)
Afghanistan
Local time: 23:47
my pomodoro tech: Mar 29, 2016

to manage your time, make a simple calculation:

number of words divided by the number of days for doing the job = you know exactly what you should do every day to avoid any (bad) surprise
it never fails

if you know you can't handle the volume, ask for an extension from the start or decline the job

Inca Vallès
Inca Vallès  Identity Verified
French to Spanish
+ ...
have tried it but it's not for me Mar 29, 2016

I have tried it a couple of times but the timer always seems to stop at the wrong moment: when I am most concentrated. I really like the principle behind it but it just doesn't seem to work for me, I find it distracting (which is what the method is supposed to avoid) so what I do is take breaks when my body/head tells me to or when it's lunchtime or whatever. I try and make the most out of the 24 hours of the day, doing my best trying to find work/life balance and not biting more than I can chew... See more
I have tried it a couple of times but the timer always seems to stop at the wrong moment: when I am most concentrated. I really like the principle behind it but it just doesn't seem to work for me, I find it distracting (which is what the method is supposed to avoid) so what I do is take breaks when my body/head tells me to or when it's lunchtime or whatever. I try and make the most out of the 24 hours of the day, doing my best trying to find work/life balance and not biting more than I can chew in terms of taking on too many projects at a time in detriment of quality. I agree that time management is crucial and it's not as easy as it seems, especially when you don't have a 9 to 5 job at an office and you are your only time manager.Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:17
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Nope ... Mar 29, 2016

no, just no ...

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:17
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Self-help? Mar 31, 2016

For some reason, this sounds just like one of these stupid self-help thinks that are selling like crazy all over the world. The only reason why these things sell is because there are so many insecure people who have to rely in things like this to survive. For the same reason, Facebook is crowded with stupid people and stupid posts that spread like a disease. For the same reason, some churches are crowded with people.

Good luck for Pomodori users. You'll really need it.

Elodie Bonnafous

SteveMcD
SteveMcD  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:17
German to English
Never heard of it... Apr 1, 2016

...and I don't have the time to learn a new time management technique.

I actually learned some very effective study and work methods way back in 1980 while attending US Navy Nuclear Power School. They have served me well ever since.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use the Pomodoro Technique to manage your time?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »