Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever been disappointed when meeting foreign clients personally?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 27, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever been disappointed when meeting foreign clients personally?".

This poll was originally submitted by Nicole Blanc. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:51
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, not at all! Mar 27, 2016

Disappointed, why should I be disappointed? Do you mean by their physical appearance or other feature? I’m only disappointed with one thing: not being paid as agreed. Anyway, I only met once a foreign client in person. I was surprised his spoken English wasn’t as good as his written stuff…

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:51
Member (2006)
German to English
No, not at all! Mar 27, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

Disappointed, why should I be disappointed?

But seriously, why should anybody be disappointed in someone else.
First impressions are always important, but if you have been working with people for a while, who cares what they "look like" as long as they are pleasant to deal with.

Ellennaa
Ellennaa
French to English
+ ...
No, rarely, looks like I was lucky in relation to interpreting clients of mine. Mar 27, 2016

The question is catching, thanks.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
a couple of times Mar 27, 2016

I've been disappointed how some foreign businessmen do their business abroad and how treat their employees.
On the other hand, who said they must treat foreigners better?

In one case it wasn't about me (as a prospect contractor), yet when I saw how she talked to blue-collar and white-collar workers, not to mention other not her biz-related people (for example, a driver, a porter, a waitress, a visitor and so on), I did reject a really advantageous offer, because that person ac
... See more
I've been disappointed how some foreign businessmen do their business abroad and how treat their employees.
On the other hand, who said they must treat foreigners better?

In one case it wasn't about me (as a prospect contractor), yet when I saw how she talked to blue-collar and white-collar workers, not to mention other not her biz-related people (for example, a driver, a porter, a waitress, a visitor and so on), I did reject a really advantageous offer, because that person acted like... a bad word or even several)

Shortly, she stated that everyone who has to work 'manually' (opposite of 'intellectually') for "peanuts" is but a silly servant to please her.
Collapse

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
No Mar 27, 2016

as i never met them

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Mar 27, 2016

Why should I be?

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, once Mar 27, 2016

I met someone at the last international Proz.com conference in Rotterdam.

She was friendly, and about what I had expected.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:51
English to Spanish
+ ...
Disappointments Mar 27, 2016

You can't be disappointed in people or in things if you know your expectations and how to manage them.

Since this is a forum for grownups, I'm mystified by the whole poll question.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:51
Russian to English
The polls seem to get more and more pointless every day Mar 27, 2016

Victoria Britten
Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
What do you mean by "foreign"? Mar 27, 2016

My French clients are "foreign", I suppose, because I'm British - but I live in France and they make up the vast majority of my clients. And I can hardly consider my British clients as foreign, even if we aren't physically in the same country...

This might have been interesting as a forum discussion, as I can only imagine it was based on some incident in the poll starters experience, but it doesn't really work as a poll.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
Other Mar 27, 2016

I'm generally disappointed by humans in person, because I don't like humans in person. I'm far more at ease with small rodents. I'm not surprised by that in the least (that's probably the "expectations management" Mario mentions).

But how is this about foreigners, or about customers?

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:51
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
Quite the opposite Mar 27, 2016

On the few occasions that I have met clients in person, it has been a very positive experience which has strengthened our working relationship.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:51
German to English
+ ...
I don't understand the question Mar 27, 2016

A lot of my clients come personally to pick up a translation. Many of them are new immigrants to the country - I don't know if that makes them "foreign". Often they only need translation services once, due to whatever circumstance created that need, so for that alone there is no big relationship. But then - what is it that one would be disappointed about? What expectation that has not been met? I'd say that the biggest expectation is to be paid, and that always happens, otherwise the transl... See more
A lot of my clients come personally to pick up a translation. Many of them are new immigrants to the country - I don't know if that makes them "foreign". Often they only need translation services once, due to whatever circumstance created that need, so for that alone there is no big relationship. But then - what is it that one would be disappointed about? What expectation that has not been met? I'd say that the biggest expectation is to be paid, and that always happens, otherwise the translation would not be handed over.

Quite often the encounter is delightful. The most interesting was the professor of mathematics who waxed eloquently on the impact of math. on the most diverse spheres and I learned a lot of interesting and thought provoking things that day. Or the art restorer, from whom I learned about the delicate handling of gold leaf.

It is too bad that these survey questions don't contain a bit more information to let us know what the writer was after or thinking about.
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Discrimination? Mar 28, 2016

Ricki Farn wrote:

I'm far more at ease with small rodents.

And what, pray, is wrong with large rodents?

Some of my best friends....

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been disappointed when meeting foreign clients personally?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »