Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you charge the same rates for cloud-based translation environments as for traditional CAT tools?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 26, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you charge the same rates for cloud-based translation environments as for traditional CAT tools?".

This poll was originally submitted by Thomas Johansson. View the poll results »

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 10:03
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Other - I refuse to use them Mar 26, 2016

I tried a few cloud-based solutions but decided that I won't work with them any more. They interfere with my normal flow, meaning that I work much slower and therefore earn less per hour.

That's even before you take into account the fact that you're not (usually) benefiting from your own translation in terms of being able to add the project to your ongoing TM(s).

My feeling about such environments is that they're useful for companies coordinating large translation jobs
... See more
I tried a few cloud-based solutions but decided that I won't work with them any more. They interfere with my normal flow, meaning that I work much slower and therefore earn less per hour.

That's even before you take into account the fact that you're not (usually) benefiting from your own translation in terms of being able to add the project to your ongoing TM(s).

My feeling about such environments is that they're useful for companies coordinating large translation jobs that don't have to be particularly well done. But for translators aiming for the quality end of the market there's nothing to be gained.

When I'm offered this kind of job by one of my few clients who occasionally use cloud-based tools, I ask them if I can do the job using Trados instead. Quite often this is fine with them, sometimes it isn't, in which case I simply refuse the job.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Mar 26, 2016

I don't use cloud-based translation environments and... I'm also one of those species in extinction (known in the trade as dinosaurs) who don't use CAT tools!

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 15:03
English to Vietnamese
I don't use cloud-based translation environments Mar 26, 2016

I don't use cloud-based translation environments.

[Edited at 2016-03-26 19:36 GMT]

Diarmuid Kennan
Diarmuid Kennan
Ireland
Member (2006)
Danish to English
+ ...
Exactly what JaneD said above Mar 26, 2016

[Edited at 2016-03-26 13:16 GMT]

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
Translation needed! Mar 26, 2016

I have no idea what the question is referring to I use neither CAT tools nor "cloud-based environments" .......like Teresa, I am a dinosaur.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why would I charge differently? Mar 26, 2016

First, I have some experience using Lingotek, a cloud-based CAT tool. I mean, 10 months of using it is enough for me to draw some conclusions.

The tool was provided by the client and was no factor in negotiating my hourly rate.

Now, why would I even consider charging more or less for using an Internet-based or browser-based CAT tool? Put it differently, what if I use Google Docs instead of MS Word? Same result, different tools. The customer still receives a file in the
... See more
First, I have some experience using Lingotek, a cloud-based CAT tool. I mean, 10 months of using it is enough for me to draw some conclusions.

The tool was provided by the client and was no factor in negotiating my hourly rate.

Now, why would I even consider charging more or less for using an Internet-based or browser-based CAT tool? Put it differently, what if I use Google Docs instead of MS Word? Same result, different tools. The customer still receives a file in the required format.

There's too much hype about cloud-based this or that. Come on, even the phrase cloud-based means that the tool or document resides in data packets across Internet servers, same as back when we had HTML 1.0 and CompuServe browsers.
Collapse

Bruno Veilleux
Bruno Veilleux  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:03
English to French
Other Mar 26, 2016

I don't normally use CAT tools, but if the client wants me to use a Web interface I don't mind trying it out. If it works fine (which is certainly not always the case), I don't see a reason to make a fuss about it. It's certainly better than being required to use absurdly expensive software that probably doesn't even work on my system. Having to be online at all times to work on your translation can be a bother, however.

As others, it doesn't affect my rates per se, but since
... See more
I don't normally use CAT tools, but if the client wants me to use a Web interface I don't mind trying it out. If it works fine (which is certainly not always the case), I don't see a reason to make a fuss about it. It's certainly better than being required to use absurdly expensive software that probably doesn't even work on my system. Having to be online at all times to work on your translation can be a bother, however.

As others, it doesn't affect my rates per se, but since it's likely to slow me down, I'm a little more demanding in terms of payment (less willing to negotiate) and I may favor other jobs.
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Mar 26, 2016

I have used a couple of them and those that were good, and there are some out there, I do not mind using.
For others that are time consuming, I let them know and I usually nanage to arrange that I get the translation for Trados or Across.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Reasons for charging more Mar 26, 2016

Basically, Jane D has said precisely what I think.

The extra inconvenience and extra time needed to ahchieve the same result are good reasons for charging more if you go along with using a cloud-based tool at all.

I only use my own CAT, or no CAT if the source text is in a 'dead' PDF or on paper.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
I refuse to use them Mar 26, 2016

I need all the keyboard shortcuts I can get. With a browser-based tool, my hand moves to the trackball way too often, and that means owies.

And even the people who tell me their server isn't slow and it won't slow me down -- guys, do I have some news for you. And it's not my side that's slow.

Some people really like working with me, and suddenly, their tool can spit up a Trados package. With some cloud tools, it's not intrinsically impossible ...

Andrej Fric
Andrej Fric  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2011)
German to Slovenian
+ ...
Web/cloud based tools are normally slower to work with Mar 26, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Now, why would I even consider charging more or less for using an Internet-based or browser-based CAT tool?

Well, if you are paid hourly rate, it makes no difference. But if you are paid by words and the web/cloud based tool makes you work slower than usually, you should consider raising rates or discontinue to work on such platforms.

I have different rates for work on some online programs and I refuse to work on any new web/cloud based platform, if the rate is not substantially higher than my normal rate.
Perhaps I'm also some kind of dinosaur

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:03
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Clouds are another unfortunate trend Mar 26, 2016

I also hate cloud translation. I usually give them a try, but if they don't allow exporting the document, spelling/grammar check, find/replace, auto-propagation and other functions, I will not take a second job in that platform. Unfortunately, I charge the same rate, for I've been excluded of recruitment processes for clouds before for raising the price.

Like the so-called "post-editing", the translations in clouds are a trend in our market, and we will practically be forced to acce
... See more
I also hate cloud translation. I usually give them a try, but if they don't allow exporting the document, spelling/grammar check, find/replace, auto-propagation and other functions, I will not take a second job in that platform. Unfortunately, I charge the same rate, for I've been excluded of recruitment processes for clouds before for raising the price.

Like the so-called "post-editing", the translations in clouds are a trend in our market, and we will practically be forced to accept them in the near future. So, I think it's best to give them a try, and evaluate which platforms are workable. So, when the unfortunate times come when we'll have to accept them, we'll be acquainted with many of them, and we'll be able to accept or refuse jobs in clouds according to the features we know each one offers.
Collapse

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:03
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't charge Mar 26, 2016

I don't charge for working directly on web-based tools, because I don't work with them.

Today, I work only with 2 clients who use this kind of tools, but both of them allow me to export work files and use my preferred CAT.

Another client offers both options - working directly through web or downloading work files - and I use the web-based option only with tiny jobs (2-3 sentences).

Otherwise, these web-based tools are slower, less intuitive, less customizab
... See more
I don't charge for working directly on web-based tools, because I don't work with them.

Today, I work only with 2 clients who use this kind of tools, but both of them allow me to export work files and use my preferred CAT.

Another client offers both options - working directly through web or downloading work files - and I use the web-based option only with tiny jobs (2-3 sentences).

Otherwise, these web-based tools are slower, less intuitive, less customizable and have less features than any CAT tool.
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:03
German to English
+ ...
I work in neither Mar 26, 2016

and so voted "other". In general fees are charged based on the complexity of the work and other factors.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you charge the same rates for cloud-based translation environments as for traditional CAT tools?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »