Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you charge the same rates for cloud-based translation environments as for traditional CAT tools?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 13:11
French to English
+ ...
No clouds for me, please Mar 26, 2016

In addition to all the above reasons not to work in a cloud environment, sometimes I do my work at places where Internet is unavailable, inconvenient to access, very slow, or very expensive. Furthermore, even on a broadband connection, an online solution may suffer occasional interruptions.

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:11
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

not the same Mar 27, 2016

Ground-based manual service for serious clients (0%-100%)

None of my clients would even allow me to use anything cloud-based, so I charge 0 [insert currency here] since I never use cloud-based environments. Even if they did allow such environment, and they were easy about their privacy concerns, I would not trust any cloud with my work. Serious clients understand the importance of confidentiality and intellectual property.

CAT tools are rarely requested, thankfully. I f
... See more
Ground-based manual service for serious clients (0%-100%)

None of my clients would even allow me to use anything cloud-based, so I charge 0 [insert currency here] since I never use cloud-based environments. Even if they did allow such environment, and they were easy about their privacy concerns, I would not trust any cloud with my work. Serious clients understand the importance of confidentiality and intellectual property.

CAT tools are rarely requested, thankfully. I feel fortunate to have obtained and retained serious clients that are quality-oriented and never nickel-and-dime about repetitions or "fuzzy" (near-)matches. Should a client request such discount, they would get [.....] blank spaces for repeated phrases or terms. If they use a CAT tool they are welcome to fill in the blanks as appropriate.
Collapse

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 06:11
English to Swedish
+ ...
25% surcharge? Mar 28, 2016

I notice that more and more clients, especially agencies, want to work with web-based translation environments. As I feel these tools mostly require longer processing times in comparison with conventional CAT tools, I generally add a 25% surcharge over my standard word-based rates. (This figure is based on a rough estimate that a translation on a web-based environment generally requires about 25% more time to process than it would on a conventional CAT tool.) Many clients accept, but sometimes I... See more
I notice that more and more clients, especially agencies, want to work with web-based translation environments. As I feel these tools mostly require longer processing times in comparison with conventional CAT tools, I generally add a 25% surcharge over my standard word-based rates. (This figure is based on a rough estimate that a translation on a web-based environment generally requires about 25% more time to process than it would on a conventional CAT tool.) Many clients accept, but sometimes I feel this percentage perhaps should be a little bit higher.

I think it's important to ensure both agencies and end clients understand that web-based environments are less flexible in terms of TM and terminology management, may lead to inferior quality and involve slower processing for translators (and thus should lead to higher costs for the clients).

On another note, I often feel more stressed when working on web-based environments, and get exhausted much quicker. I believe this has something to do with the nature of the environment as such - all the mouse movements, clicks and so on.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you charge the same rates for cloud-based translation environments as for traditional CAT tools?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »