Poll: Most of my clients are from:
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 12, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Most of my clients are from:".

View the poll results »

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 20:58
French to English
+ ...
The first two... Mar 12, 2016

I should imagine that there aren't that many translators that don't live in a country where one of their languages is spoken. And I would imagine that most translators in that situation would draw most of their customers from that country.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:58
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Mar 12, 2016

Over the last year most of my clients came from Europe (Belgium, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Luxembourg, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, UK) and from Africa (Angola, Cape Verde, Sao Tome and Principe and Mozambique).

P.S. I didn’t take into account that some of my clients (international bodies and NGOs) have departments in different countries...

[Edited at 2016-03-12 14:52 GMT]

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
It's changing Mar 12, 2016

Over the last year or two, my customer base has been slowly changing from "Germany" (=target/residence) to "EU".

There is also "others", but I actively try to avoid that, because of bank fees and general hassle. I've tried to explain the concept of an IBAN to someone in the Americas for years now. It's not her fault, it's her bank that keeps saying "yes we see this is the beneficiary's IBAN, but what is her bank account number?" until the customer got herself a Paypal account just
... See more
Over the last year or two, my customer base has been slowly changing from "Germany" (=target/residence) to "EU".

There is also "others", but I actively try to avoid that, because of bank fees and general hassle. I've tried to explain the concept of an IBAN to someone in the Americas for years now. It's not her fault, it's her bank that keeps saying "yes we see this is the beneficiary's IBAN, but what is her bank account number?" until the customer got herself a Paypal account just to pay me *facepalm*.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:58
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Other: two countries Mar 12, 2016

Most of my clients are from Brazil (where I live) and the USA (the locus of my L2 variant).

Clients from countries all around the world? Yes, but not that often.

I've served clients from Australia eastbound all the way to Turkey or Israel (which one is further East?). Never had any in India, China, or surrounding areas, except one, and only once, from Singapore.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Around the world Mar 12, 2016

My clients come from the USA, Canada, China, Belgium, Australia, The Netherlands, and...and...and.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 15:58
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
80%+ Target, Thank God! Mar 13, 2016

I have (finally) achieved the level of target-language clients I always aimed at. Currently 80%+ of my income is from clients in the USA, Canada and UK, and 20% from DIRECT Brazilian clients. I was finally able to say goodbye to my Brazilian agencies, and thanked them a lot for all the jobs for peanuts, but not anymore. The only local clients I have now are direct clients that pay my rates without trying to negotiate peanuts, and do not complain for one typo in 10 pages as if that was the end of... See more
I have (finally) achieved the level of target-language clients I always aimed at. Currently 80%+ of my income is from clients in the USA, Canada and UK, and 20% from DIRECT Brazilian clients. I was finally able to say goodbye to my Brazilian agencies, and thanked them a lot for all the jobs for peanuts, but not anymore. The only local clients I have now are direct clients that pay my rates without trying to negotiate peanuts, and do not complain for one typo in 10 pages as if that was the end of the world, just to put you down. Farewell for eternity, Brazilian agencies. Thank you Lord!

[Edited at 2016-03-13 05:58 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:58
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
All over - sort of Mar 13, 2016

I mainly work for international organizations, which means that I get texts from all the Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries. Also, over my freelance career I've had clients based in all the continents except Antarctica (though I did get one from the far tip of Chile where the glaciers are). Plenty of jobs from Australia, New Zealand, and China, and last year I had one from North Korea, which was a first for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Most of my clients are from:

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »