Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: In 5 years the demand for translations in my target language will be...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Globalisation Mar 10, 2016

Chris S wrote:

My opinion, or expectation, based on logic rather than clairvoyance, is that there will be more demand for translation into English as globalisation marches on.

[Edited at 2016-03-10 16:36 GMT]

Your opinion is being informed by outdated logic. Have you seen how English is no longer language No. 1 on the WWW, for example?

Adnan Özdemir
Adnan Özdemir  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:14
Member (2007)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Please look at the "internet_isation" trends/history Mar 10, 2016

This means; more jobs, more information production on international markets.

It will be great for our business in 5 years.

For "most" languages naturally!

[Edited at 2016-03-10 21:02 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
??? Mar 10, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Chris S wrote:

My opinion, or expectation, based on logic rather than clairvoyance, is that there will be more demand for translation into English as globalisation marches on.

Your opinion is being informed by outdated logic. Have you seen how English is no longer language No. 1 on the WWW, for example?

And how is that relevant?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Relevance Mar 11, 2016

Chris S wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

Chris S wrote:

And how is that relevant?

If you're going to claim logic, make sure you share the basis or facts behind it. Otherwise, be ready to defend your opinion.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:14
Catalan to English
+ ...
Trash Mar 11, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Chris S wrote:

Not quite sure how logic can become "outdated". Perhaps you could explain.

And rather OT, I admit, but the topic was brought up. And it has to do with our ability to make predictions.

I assume the book by A. Toffler you referred to was "The Third Wave".

In it, Toffler predicted the rise of a knowledge economy, based on "knowledge workers", a fragmentation of the traditional workforce, the end of lifetime jobs, adhocracies, tele-working, a collaborative economy (e.g. Uber, AirBnB), permanent training and recycling, social networks....

Not bad for a book published in 1980, I'd say.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 02:44
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Hindi is an expanding language Mar 11, 2016

So I expect the demand for translations into Hindi to go through the roof in the coming years.

My analysis is based on the following tenets:

1. India has been the only reliable expanding economy in the world for the last few years and it is likely to continue that way, which would attract business from all over the world into India. As Hindi is the main language in India, these businesses would not be able to do without translation into Hindi.

2. Hindi is a
... See more
So I expect the demand for translations into Hindi to go through the roof in the coming years.

My analysis is based on the following tenets:

1. India has been the only reliable expanding economy in the world for the last few years and it is likely to continue that way, which would attract business from all over the world into India. As Hindi is the main language in India, these businesses would not be able to do without translation into Hindi.

2. Hindi is a language which still has not attained 100% literacy. The current figure is about 70% for men and about 65% for women, but this is rapidly changing as the 100% school enrollment figures of recent years show. This means, more and more Hindi speaking people are becoming literate. So the pool of Hindi speakers who will be economically active is increasing.

3. Also the Hindi speaking areas of India used to be economically very backward, but that too is changing, and these areas are now one of the fastest growing areas of India. For example, Bihar, one of the BIMARU* states, has been consistently growing at above 10% rate for the last several years, against an all-India average of about 7%. This means, the purchasing power of Hindi speakers is increasing, which makes them more attractive to businesses.

4. English is on the decline in India. The decline is steady and is mirrored by the concurrent upsurge in Indian languages, particularly Hindi. One indicator of this is the newspaper readership. English newspapers used to head the list, but now not one figures in the top ten. The top positions are all occupied by Hindi newspapers. This means that international businesses can no longer depend on an English-based strategy for India, even for high-end products, and will have to make more use of Hindi.

This has historical precedence too. When the Mugals were ruling India, Persian was the main language in India, especially in their courts. When they were supplanted by the British, Persian quickly disappeared from the Indian scene and was replaced by English. Now it is approaching a century since the British left India and there are clear signs that what happened to Persian earlier is happening to English in India. In a few more years, English will loose ground in India to become just one of the minor Indian languages spoken at native level by a few million Indians, while the Indian markets will be dominated by Indian languages, particularly Hindi, which is the largest of them.

So due to these durable trends, I am positive that translation demand in my target language Hindi will continue to grow exponentially in the coming years.

*This is a tongue-in-cheek acronymn coined by one Indian economist to describe the poor-performing regions of India in the 70s and 80s. This region comprised the states of Bihar, Madhya Pradesh, Rajasthan, and Uttar Pradesh, all of which are Hindi-speaking areas. The acronymn BIMARU is made of the initials of the names of these states - BI (Bihar)-MA(Madhay Pradesh)-R(Rajasthan)-U(Uttar Pradesh). The acronymn is actually a pun, as the word BIMARU in Hindi means "sick" or "ailing".

[Edited at 2016-03-11 05:05 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
... Mar 11, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

If you're going to claim logic, make sure you share the basis or facts behind it. Otherwise, be ready to defend your opinion.

Defend it against what? You haven't said what's wrong with it.

Basis of my logic? Globalisation.

You're welcome to disagree with me, Mario, but you don't have to put me down when doing so.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In 5 years the demand for translations in my target language will be...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »