Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Were you nervous to start your career as a freelance translator?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Anna Borek
Anna Borek  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 01:19
Polish to English
+ ...
A bit anxious Mar 4, 2016

When I started translating few months after graduating I was rather a bit anxious, than nervous - but I had nothing to lose. I wanted to become a translator and somehow I needed to gain an experience. The most difficult issue in that time was to find and create my own "base" of clients. Now after 7 years of cooperating with Proz I can honestly say that it was worth it. Although the income at first wasn't as high as my first expectations, however with time I gained more experience, clients, self-... See more
When I started translating few months after graduating I was rather a bit anxious, than nervous - but I had nothing to lose. I wanted to become a translator and somehow I needed to gain an experience. The most difficult issue in that time was to find and create my own "base" of clients. Now after 7 years of cooperating with Proz I can honestly say that it was worth it. Although the income at first wasn't as high as my first expectations, however with time I gained more experience, clients, self-confidence and job offers.Collapse

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
No. Mar 4, 2016

Probably because I came to translating later in life.

As a "mature" male, I had already had the old-style prostate check. After that, there isn't much that can make you nervous

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Client base Mar 4, 2016

I made sure I had a good client base before becoming a freelance full-time. It took me about a year..

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
Memory fails, mixed emotions Mar 4, 2016

I think emotions are predicated on expectations. So is disappointment when an expectation that built up into excitement does not crystalize.

I was beyond excited as I started small pro bono translation jobs back in my university years. Then, being in New York City, without job prospects and with nothing but $300 to my name in cash, my expectations of landing a full-time translator job hit the proverbial brick wall and I had to lower them a bit.

When I finally found the
... See more
I think emotions are predicated on expectations. So is disappointment when an expectation that built up into excitement does not crystalize.

I was beyond excited as I started small pro bono translation jobs back in my university years. Then, being in New York City, without job prospects and with nothing but $300 to my name in cash, my expectations of landing a full-time translator job hit the proverbial brick wall and I had to lower them a bit.

When I finally found the opportunity of working as an in-house proofreader/translator for 4 (yes, four) hours twice a week, I was ecstatic. My pay? $8 an hour, barely enough to cover my NY subway tokens at the time (1991). How did I secure clients? I didn't, they started calling me on my free time for proofreading jobs, which lead to translation jobs. After a string of jobs in early or mid 1992, I quit that $8/hour job and started working independently and never looked back.

Another expectation in the heart of a newcomer like me: I was coming from Argentina, where a good (lower middle class) salary was $500 a month. To start earning that amount a week was a big eye opener. At one time, I didn't now what to make with the “extra” money.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 04:49
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
No Mar 5, 2016

My transition into full-time freelancing was a rather long and fully planned. I was in a full-time job as a writer when it became less of writing and more of administration and mentoring, I lost interest and decided to look for other avenues. I tried freelance writing in Hindi and English for a long time but couldn't make much money out of it. Then I accidentally discovered the vast market of international translation through proz.com. I set myself the goal that the day I surpassed the income I ... See more
My transition into full-time freelancing was a rather long and fully planned. I was in a full-time job as a writer when it became less of writing and more of administration and mentoring, I lost interest and decided to look for other avenues. I tried freelance writing in Hindi and English for a long time but couldn't make much money out of it. Then I accidentally discovered the vast market of international translation through proz.com. I set myself the goal that the day I surpassed the income I made from my job through translation fees, I will hang up my boots as a 9 to 5 office slave and instead became a fulltime translator. It took me a couple of years to achieve this. There was no compulsion to succeed or tension of failiure. So the transition was smooth and painless. I was also helped by the fact that my wife had a fulltime job and that made me secure from starvation in case my adventure in freelancing turned sour.Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:19
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No. It was worse later on... Mar 6, 2016

It's amazing how we are self-confident when we are younger, which is a very positive factor. I was more insecure 20 years later, after a long pause, when I resumed my career as a translator, despite all the experience and knowledge, also in new fields, than when I started at about 20.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Were you nervous to start your career as a freelance translator?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »