Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you use Linguee?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 29, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use Linguee?".

This poll was originally submitted by Rita Utt. View the poll results »

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:21
Hebrew to English
No Feb 29, 2016

My source language isn't featured/supported on there.

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:21
English to Russian
+ ...
Rarely Feb 29, 2016

Sometimes I come across terms which have just a few mentions in Google search results. I go to this web-site and find there in my case) German equivalents. Sometimes it helps to grasp the meaning of the term.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Hadn't heard of it Feb 29, 2016

But having now visited its site, I'll certainly give it a try when the occasion arises.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:21
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Feb 29, 2016

Quite frequently to be honest.

I find it is one of the few "reliable" sites where you are able to check many different homepages at once.
And after checking the specific term in Google (and ProZ) with the specific word being looked for, I generally get a positive hit

I went away from Leo and Dict.cc years ago because I found their entries extremely unreliable

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:21
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes - often Feb 29, 2016

Anything as massive as the Linguee database is bound to have errors from time to time, but finding terms in context in parallel translations is extremely useful. All in all, I consider it an excellent tool. I have it on "speed-dial."

[Edited at 2016-02-29 08:47 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Checked a few times Feb 29, 2016

At the moment the project is rather useless for my language pairs, not to mention its 'External sources (not reviewed)' a-la MT.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Feb 29, 2016

I do sometimes, but it's not a magic bullet.
Just as with the Kudoz glossary, you have to sift through the mud and dirt before you find the nugget of gold.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, often! Feb 29, 2016

As Muriel says, it's a very useful tool. I translate a lot for the EU institutions and if nothing else Linguee is an extremely fast search tool to find terms in the source and the target language.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Yes, often Feb 29, 2016

But I've been using it less since discovering Reverso Context. Still, it's nice to have a variety of sources.

Anne Schulz
Anne Schulz
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Agree with John Feb 29, 2016

John Cutler wrote:

... it's not a magic bullet,... you have to sift through the mud and dirt before you find the nugget of gold.

In my combination (EN>DE) there is usually a handful of incongruent, useless segments (and yes, I did take the time to mark these for the provider as long as they offered this option). Then there is a heap of text examples using the most literal translation option. And finally (not always), there are one or two useful options of the kind I was looking for. When searching for a more technical two or three-word expression, I usually encounter a "No results for '...' found"

Interestingly, the dictionary part of Linguee is often considerably broader than the spectrum used in the bilingual texts, hence, my impression is that the external sources feature of Liguee is good for finding the most common ways to translate a term or expression, but not for finding the most appropriate option for a specific situation.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:21
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No, never heard or it Feb 29, 2016

Jack Doughty wrote:

But having now visited its site, I'll certainly give it a try when the occasion arises.

I took a peep and, lo and behold, Linguee for my language pair is up and running. And, as Jack says, "I'll certainly give it a try when the occasion arises."

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
quite often Feb 29, 2016

I discovered it when Muriel mentioned it in a previous poll.
Now I'll try the one Natalie suggested.

Thanks!

Ditte Bjerregaard
Ditte Bjerregaard
Denmark
Member (2013)
German to Danish
+ ...
I find it's not that useful for smaller languages Feb 29, 2016

Even though Danish -German/English is actually supported on there, I rarely find what I am looking for. However the English - German database seems quite elaborate, and so I sometimes use this option if I just need to get a quick usage overview and can't find the term in the Danish dictionary. Having said that, I use Leo the same way and generally find that to be a much better source.

Either way I am often jealous of people translating between big languages with endless ressources a
... See more
Even though Danish -German/English is actually supported on there, I rarely find what I am looking for. However the English - German database seems quite elaborate, and so I sometimes use this option if I just need to get a quick usage overview and can't find the term in the Danish dictionary. Having said that, I use Leo the same way and generally find that to be a much better source.

Either way I am often jealous of people translating between big languages with endless ressources at hand, must be a dream!
Collapse

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, intermittently Feb 29, 2016

I hadn't used it for a while, but in fact I was using it just yesterday. It's a bit a of last resort, and also rather hit and miss.

I find the abundance, or even predominance, of mistranslated texts featuring as examples of usage rather tiresome, and I think maybe the site should come with a "warning" about exercising caution when using it!

However it has come up with solutions for me on numerous occasions, even if you have to delve rather deep.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use Linguee?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »