Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Do you use Linguee?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
polyglot45
polyglot45
English to French
+ ...
useful site but not gospel Feb 29, 2016

I use it when I am looking for a synonym or there is a word at the back of my mind that won't come to me.
Sometimes, scanning through the examples, I see the word I want or something sets off a train of thought that unfreezes my brain!

Marija Grinevičiūtė

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:16
French to English
+ ...
Yes, I love it Feb 29, 2016

It's like having someone else sitting in the office that you can brainstorm words with, even if that person often provides some fairly questionable thoughts, it's good for getting the old brain wiggling.

One of my missions for the year is to set aside time to actively contribute to it.

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 09:16
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Never heard of it Feb 29, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

Jack Doughty wrote:

But having now visited its site, I'll certainly give it a try when the occasion arises.

I took a peep and, lo and behold, Linguee for my language pair is up and running. And, as Jack says, "I'll certainly give it a try when the occasion arises."

However, like Julian, I took a look and found that it is available for Chinese to English and vice versa. I'll also check it out as and when necessary.

Edited to add: I played with it for a while with some real terms from a project I am working on right now and found that it is not quite useful for my language pairs. Lots of 'nonsense' found...

[Edited at 2016-02-29 11:26 GMT]

Marija Grinevičiūtė

Justin Peterson
Justin Peterson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
Riddled with errors Feb 29, 2016

When I first found linguee I thought "This is great!"

After using it for a while, I realised "This is only somewhat useful."

Big disappointment. So many errors to sort through.

Other tools - google, proz, memory.net in context, reverso and wordreference - are all more helpful.

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 10:16
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
less often Feb 29, 2016

When I already know the answer and just want a spellcheck - or want to know the gender of a word it is somewhat useful / Usually Google image search is more helpful.

It is often the case the word in question is omitted in target ;q

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I like it Feb 29, 2016

Although you have to be able to quickly weed out the bad-to-mediocre hits that come up, what I find very helpful is the fact that I can type in a turn of phrase and almost always get some hits. I also like that I can click on the source and see how, say, the translator for Thyssen Krupp or the EU Parliament website translated that word or phrase.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Often Feb 29, 2016

mostly EN/FR and FR/EN, not much references in my other laguages. Even when translating CZ/EN for example, a word or expression may come to me in French instead, so I use Linguee to find the English expression. As there are always many examples, one can filter out the errors - when a translation found there seems strange, I verify it by google search.

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Frequently, but only in one language pair Feb 29, 2016

In one of my language pairs (English/German), the results are more frequently useful than not, even if only to check usage of idioms or appearence of terms in a certain context.

In my other language pair (Dutch/German), the results are much less useful: I will either find no results at all or too many wrong translations, so I rarely use it.

But, nevertheless, for English/German, it's one of the permanent tabs in my browser (next to LEO, Wikipedia, Google, ProZ, etc.). I
... See more
In one of my language pairs (English/German), the results are more frequently useful than not, even if only to check usage of idioms or appearence of terms in a certain context.

In my other language pair (Dutch/German), the results are much less useful: I will either find no results at all or too many wrong translations, so I rarely use it.

But, nevertheless, for English/German, it's one of the permanent tabs in my browser (next to LEO, Wikipedia, Google, ProZ, etc.). I rather like having many research options at hand and use whatever seems to help solving a particular problem.
Collapse

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:16
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Rarely Feb 29, 2016

It can be useful for some insights sometimes, but generally I don't like its translations.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, often Feb 29, 2016

If it moves, I'll use it. Even though its translations are often ropey. Every little helps

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Yes Feb 29, 2016

Linguee comes in handy now and then for as long as I know how to "correct" the translations offered there. In most cases it does give me a clue, so why not use it?

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 21:16
English to Finnish
+ ...
many inaccurate or even incorrect translations Feb 29, 2016

EU translators do somewhat sloppy work

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, quite often Feb 29, 2016

It is usually good for providing alternative translations and you can look for contexts that are similar to the one of the sentence you are working on.

I find their advertising extremely annoying, though. I would pay to use it as a tool without advertising, but last time I checked that was not an option.

[Edited at 2016-02-29 16:41 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:16
English to Spanish
+ ...
Decreasing interest in Linguee Feb 29, 2016

Justin Peterson wrote:

When I first found linguee I thought "This is great!"

After using it for a while, I realised "This is only somewhat useful."

Big disappointment. So many errors to sort through.

Other tools - google, proz, memory.net in context, reverso and wordreference - are all more helpful.

I know Linguee has large databases of previous translations. It's like the output of the Trados alignment tool. I started using it in earnest a few years ago, especially for medical translations.

However…

Linguee is a mishmash of translations poor and good and fair. None of it is excellent. I use Proz to consult on some esoteric terms (and I sometimes contribute to the answers or comments), but only as a starting point or to get a different idea.

Take, for example, the highly technical expression magnetic toolface. Linguee offers a literal translation that I can't use.

I prefer printed dictionaries, company brochures, schematic diagrams, medical white papers, etc. to Linguee. Sure, it takes more reading but a) my grey cells get a workout and b) I actually learn something.

Elena Mordenti
Elena Mordenti  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Yes often Feb 29, 2016

Sometimes in De-It combination it lacks translations but in this case I use the De-En text and then I translate into Italian.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use Linguee?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »