Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Being a freelancer, would you support (or have you supported) a general strike against austerity?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:43
German to English
+ ...
I can't understand the question Feb 22, 2016

1. In what way does a freelancer "support" a strike. By whom? Certainly not by us, since we freelance, so we are our own boss.
2. Where? We come from all over the world.
What, in this instant, does "austerity" mean?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:43
English to Spanish
+ ...
Solidarity Feb 22, 2016

Ioannis Michalis wrote:

even if the words solidarity, empathy, exploitation etc. mean nothing to most in here apparently, imagine the following: It is undeniable that austerity leads to unemployment. Unemployment means that anybody with a language certificate and no other means of employment can give freelance translating a try, what is there to lose? And then when we see agencies paying 0.02-3 $ per word lets all act suprised and wonder why do people accept such rates and ruin the profession for all.

By the way, those commenting that they live in privileged countries (US & UK), I'd recommend taking a better look on what's going in your front yard.

I think you're overstepping the boundaries of civil discourse here by assuming others have no use for words like solidarity, empathy, etc. You can't say anything like that about anybody unless you know them personally and know their circumstances.

Translation agencies are just one of several market agents. They come and go. As professionals, we are not in charge of policing others who claim to be professional translators.

Although you might see some countries as being privileged, there's nothing privileged about anybody commenting here. That's another unfortunate assumption you are making.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:43
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Precise, but pretty hard to notice, it seems Feb 22, 2016

Ioannis Michalis wrote:
By the way, those commenting that they live in privileged countries (US & UK), I'd recommend taking a better look on what's going in your front yard.

Out of the topic, but it sure seems the dreams embedded into the minds of an entire population for several generations makes them quite blind to what is going on under their noses. The fellow US citizens still believe the USA is the best nation in the world, the one with the most liberty, the land of opportunity, etc. I wonder how long will it still take for them to realize. This video (made in the USA, by the way) is very accurate in that sense: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMqcLUqYqrs

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Being a freelancer, would you support (or have you supported) a general strike against austerity?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »