Poll: Which type of interpreting service you charge for the most?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 20, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Which type of interpreting service you charge for the most?".

View the poll results »

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 19:04
English to Vietnamese
I don't work as an interpreter Feb 20, 2016

I don't work as an interpreter.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:04
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I don't work as an interpreter! Feb 20, 2016

I love choosing my words carefully and taking the time to search for the right word when translating instead of the immediacy of interpreting.

[Edited at 2016-02-20 09:39 GMT]

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:04
Czech to French
+ ...
I don't work as... Feb 20, 2016

but I used to and it was simultaneous. Not because I consider it the most difficult, but everyone else in my country does so, it's the market.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Simultaneous Feb 20, 2016

But I gave it up years ago, finding it too stressful. I much prefer working from home, and nowadays would only be willing to take on the most tempting and well-remunerated of interpreting jobs.

Having said that, I have a young translator colleague and collaborator currently studying an interpreting course, who is very keen to get some practice under her belt, and I'd have no qualms about recommending her should any such offers come my way.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Proz Staff Feb 20, 2016

Since this poll topic purports to be from the Staff, and must at least have been approved by them, could they please make the effort to correct the English. As a paying member, I like to think that my money is going towards a professional site, and this kind of very evident shoddiness does us no favours.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:04
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Wow 78%! Feb 21, 2016

I knew the proportion of translators to interpreters was pretty high, but I never thought it would be 3:1. Considering that many people do both things, exclusive interpreters must be rare these days.

A good question for the Quick Polls would be "Did you use to work as an interpreter but quit it as soon as you filled your agenda with translations?", which I think is what most of us did.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which type of interpreting service you charge for the most?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »