Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever forgotten to send a finished translation to a client?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 19, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever forgotten to send a finished translation to a client?".

This poll was originally submitted by Monika Jakacka Márquez. View the poll results »

Doan Quang
Doan Quang  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 19:28
English to Vietnamese
Never and I hope not Feb 19, 2016

Never and I hope not! Maybe I have not been so busy enough.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Of course Feb 19, 2016

I'm not a machine

A better question would be what is the longest it's taken a client to notice...

About a fortnight in my case

Assimina Vavoula
Assimina Vavoula
Greece
Local time: 15:28
Member (2005)
French to Greek
+ ...
Sending a finished translation....? Feb 19, 2016

I did not attach the file to the text message (email message).

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:28
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Never (until today)! Feb 19, 2016

I have a very good memory, I am very organized and even known to deliver quite often ahead of time. As some say that memory loss or decline is not an inevitable part of the aging process, I’ll keep hoping that it stays this way…

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 14:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 19, 2016

Not that I recall. If I have ever done so, it will only have been once or twice, for example I can easily imagine a scenario where a text is sent to me on a Friday, I translate it on the Saturday and intend to send it back first thing on Monday, but then forget to send it off when Monday comes round until prompted by the client, especially if I am dealing with several jobs (or the loftier-sounding "projects") at the same time.

In general, I always try to deliver on time or ahead of
... See more
Not that I recall. If I have ever done so, it will only have been once or twice, for example I can easily imagine a scenario where a text is sent to me on a Friday, I translate it on the Saturday and intend to send it back first thing on Monday, but then forget to send it off when Monday comes round until prompted by the client, especially if I am dealing with several jobs (or the loftier-sounding "projects") at the same time.

In general, I always try to deliver on time or ahead of the deadline.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 19, 2016

I finish in good time, and leave it for a final polish later.

I practically always remember to do the check and send it off, but I have forgotten once or twice.

As recently as midnight last night I got an automated message about an overdue delivery... I HAD uploaded the files to the client's server in time, but probably forgotten the final click somewhere. That has happened to me several times.

[Edited at 2016-02-19 13:05 GMT]

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:28
English to Polish
No Feb 19, 2016

My project emails are marked red as "work in progress". My email client pops up a reminder, if words like "attachment" are present in the text, but no file is attached.

I remove the red marking only after translation is sent.

So with the help of simple precautions I never forgot to send anything. I once dreamt I did, woke up panicked, but it turned out not to be true

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:28
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Feb 19, 2016

I'm too interested in getting paid.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Feb 19, 2016

happens every now and then, but fortunately only by a day, and they do notice☺

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Maybe Feb 19, 2016

If I have, I have forgotten...

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Sure Feb 19, 2016

I've finished a translation, answered a call and forgotten to send it till a week later (apparently the client didn't need it urgently)...

Sent emails saying "please find attached" and forgotten to include the text...

And Yahoo's favourite... worked really hard to meet a challenging deadline, finished the text early, attached it to the email and pressed send, only to discover hours later from a slightly upset PM that Yahoo had taken "send" to mean "close the screen with
... See more
I've finished a translation, answered a call and forgotten to send it till a week later (apparently the client didn't need it urgently)...

Sent emails saying "please find attached" and forgotten to include the text...

And Yahoo's favourite... worked really hard to meet a challenging deadline, finished the text early, attached it to the email and pressed send, only to discover hours later from a slightly upset PM that Yahoo had taken "send" to mean "close the screen without sending and file discretely in drafts".

That last one has left me in tears on at least one occasion. Especially as it sounds like the most bogus excuse ever for handing something in late.

Linking back to another one of the popular polls on Proz, this is why I now insist on confirmation that the translation has been received, even if it's just with a one-letter email that reads "k".

(Yes, yes, I should check every time I send an email that it sent and isn't in drafts. More tedious than you'd think.)
Collapse

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
On the flipside Feb 19, 2016

I've also been sent emails from clients and PMs that forgot to include the source and on numerous occasions been sent the wrong text - most commonly in the wrong language - from PMs.

On a related note, has anyone else seen the clip of Benedict Cumberbatch narrating a wildlife programme and incorrectly pronouncing the word "penguin" a good ten or so times?

[Edited at 2016-02-19 14:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-02-19 14:30 GMT]

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Not sure Feb 19, 2016

Sometimes clients say they didn't receive something, and I am sure I have sent it. Am I mistaken? Possibly.

Ricki Farn
Ricki Farn
Germany
English to German
I'm with Christine Andersen Feb 19, 2016

Just once - left it to polish later, and then got bogged down by FSM knows what. The client noticed 24 hours after the due date, I wouldn't have noticed in the history of ever. (And I was chicken enough to blame it on internet-connectivity issues, which I did have that weekend, just not for this translation.)

The German word is "Kopflöcher", "head holes". Well, it may be a word of my own invention, but everyone who hears it can relate to it.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever forgotten to send a finished translation to a client?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »