Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many hours do you sleep per day?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Used to sleep <4 hours, now it's 7-8, sometimes 10-12!! Feb 18, 2016

I had some situations during the past two years that caused me a great deal of stress, so my sleep time was affected. Sometimes I slept only for 2 hours or even not at all, even if all the time I felt emotionally OK, or at least seemed to. Stress is a weird thing sometimes.
Anyway, now I sleep a normal number of hours and sometimes I even sleep for loooong hours if workload is low, especially during weekends. I guess I'm making up for all those sleepless nights.

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 14:14
English to Italian
+ ...
5-8 Feb 18, 2016

Should I also put in the count the half-hours when my brain activates "energy saving mode" or flicks to standby? (Like now)

EDIT: ok, I just feel there's something wrong with my sentence....somebody please corrects me!

[Edited at 2016-02-18 15:43 GMT]

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 18, 2016

If I get roughly 5 or 6 hours a night, that's fine. Sometimes it's less and sometimes more. Also, sometimes I might doze off on the couch after dinner (which is around 10 PM), say from 11 o'clock to midnight or one, then go to bed...
Then again, at certain times of the year I might get into the habit of a siesta after lunch, usually for about an hour. I think different people need different amounts of sleep, and I certainly don't feel deprived.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Normally about 4 hours Feb 18, 2016

in the night time. Sometimes I take a good old power nap in the afternoon which gives me another boost.
I have never really needed much sleep in the past, but in some situations I do notice that I should sleep a little longer when I do get tired. But I do not have a lack of sleep and this definately does not affect how I work - and I find it wrong to say that if you do not sleep enough that he quality of your work suffers as a result. It is the same as everything in life, everyone is diffe
... See more
in the night time. Sometimes I take a good old power nap in the afternoon which gives me another boost.
I have never really needed much sleep in the past, but in some situations I do notice that I should sleep a little longer when I do get tired. But I do not have a lack of sleep and this definately does not affect how I work - and I find it wrong to say that if you do not sleep enough that he quality of your work suffers as a result. It is the same as everything in life, everyone is different.
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
My thoughts exactly... Feb 18, 2016

Cetacea wrote:

I sleep 7-8 hours a night. Just sayin'...

That was my thought too, but I have to admit, I have been known to enjoy a mid-afternoon Spanish siesta from time to time.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
It varies Feb 18, 2016

Generally 7-8 hours, but if I have stay up late to work - or write, I compensate by taking 20-30 minute power-naps during the day.

And then there are some periods in the winter when I just drag my feet - and need 10 hours to function as a translator.

[Edited at 2016-02-19 00:03 GMT]

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
7-8 Feb 19, 2016

During the week, and more during the weekend. I do need sleep, and I admire people who can manage with 4 hours of sleep all year round.

I used to be a sleeping champion: my all-time record is 26 hours 30 minutes of solid, peaceful sleep in a row, from 10:30pm Christmas Eve '92 until 1am two days later. I was recovering from my first month of military instruction as an army conscript, the last week of which was simulating war stuff in the field, including assaults by night or running
... See more
During the week, and more during the weekend. I do need sleep, and I admire people who can manage with 4 hours of sleep all year round.

I used to be a sleeping champion: my all-time record is 26 hours 30 minutes of solid, peaceful sleep in a row, from 10:30pm Christmas Eve '92 until 1am two days later. I was recovering from my first month of military instruction as an army conscript, the last week of which was simulating war stuff in the field, including assaults by night or running with NBC coveralls and gas masks.

I've always slept once a day (or night), and I can't get used to siesta or dozing, which is a pity.

Philippe
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many hours do you sleep per day?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »