Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever been injured while working as a translator or interpreter?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
James Hodges
James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:46
Japanese to English
Only Once Feb 17, 2016

Back on March 11 in 2011 at about 2:46 p.m. local time. The Great East Japan Earthquake happened up in the Tohoku Region of Japan and here in Tokyo my overly-affectionate printer, Mr. HP, jumped up of the desk to greet me. Couple of bruised rips resulted. Mr. HP, however, was squashed by Mr. bookshelf.

Other than that, my only complaint is my hands are in a permanent state of tension because I type so much.

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:46
French to English
On second thought... Feb 17, 2016

... I voted no, but then I recalled all the repetitive-stress injuries I used to get until I figured out happier ergonomics. I no longer:
- work in an office (this is key)
- mouse with my right hand
- sit for long periods (standing desk with a high rolling stool)
- skip the weight training - it improves my core strength and posture

[Edited at 2016-02-17 16:26 GMT]

Mónica Algazi
Mónica Algazi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:46
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
No, but almost Feb 17, 2016

Yes, I almost fell while jumping from a small coast guard vessel to a huge factory ship off the coast of Montevideo, where an engineer officer had passed away. Never again.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Lucky you! Feb 17, 2016

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

.... like a bird on a beam five feet up from the floor. This involved the installation of replacement parts in a gigantic machine in a lumber mill. First it was ordinary work, sitting at a table, interpreting. And then they suited me up with a helmet, safety harness, and work boots and said we had to climb into the bowels of the machine as they would discuss things in there. Each engineer stood on a beam, happily discussing their project, with me on the middle beam, interpreting while they each held one of my hands to help me balance. The agency that sent me out had no idea I'd be anywhere other than in a chair at a desk.

I didn't fall, and there was a safety feature preventing anyone turning on the machine while we were in it. But the potential for injury was there. (It was a cool adventure.)

Let that be a warning to all interpreters: always ask beforehand where exactly the assignment will take place. In case of injury, whose work insurance would cover it, the client (called workers' compensation insurance here in America) or the translation/interpreting agency?

I'm glad nothing happened to you, Maxi.

bizisyl
bizisyl
English to Spanish
+ ...
Only once Feb 17, 2016

Although I have provided interpreting services which involved climbing, going into sterile areas and wearing protective gear, my one and only injury happened in an administration area towards the end of an EHS audit, in which worker and supplier safety had been checked and discussed for a full week. I had about 3 minutes for a restroom break and was in a rush to come back to the audit front office... closed the restroom door behind me and one of my hands got caught. I couldn't come right back i... See more
Although I have provided interpreting services which involved climbing, going into sterile areas and wearing protective gear, my one and only injury happened in an administration area towards the end of an EHS audit, in which worker and supplier safety had been checked and discussed for a full week. I had about 3 minutes for a restroom break and was in a rush to come back to the audit front office... closed the restroom door behind me and one of my hands got caught. I couldn't come right back into the office with my hand bleeding, so I had to wait until it stopped, bandaided it as unobtrusively as possible... and then hid it from the auditors!!!

Lesson learnt: BE HERE NOW at all times.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Types of injuries Feb 17, 2016

Most translators working at home, sitting on their comfortable chairs (like myself lately) would wonder how could a translator be injured. I think the first thing that comes to one's mind would be the obvious RSI and WRMD.

But I have had the chance (if you can call it a chance) to work on a construction site for six months, following the expatriates in their routine, and I'll tell you I ran the risk of a serious accident practically every day. Before I was mobilized, I had to go thr
... See more
Most translators working at home, sitting on their comfortable chairs (like myself lately) would wonder how could a translator be injured. I think the first thing that comes to one's mind would be the obvious RSI and WRMD.

But I have had the chance (if you can call it a chance) to work on a construction site for six months, following the expatriates in their routine, and I'll tell you I ran the risk of a serious accident practically every day. Before I was mobilized, I had to go through several medical and physical exams I never had to go through before. Then, when I arrived, I had to go through very tough and practical training sessions on work at heights, confined spaces, rescuing and first aid. Only then I realized where I had ended up.

I worked for six months wearing all the PPE+Outfit of about 25 lbs under the sun at 40 ºC, around heavy machinery, pits, contaminated slurry, cranes, mills, offroad trucks, substations and climbing up to the highest points of the plant with not much protection. I was glad I survived it without a scratch. A great experience I do not want ever again.

[Edited at 2016-02-18 03:56 GMT]
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Come on... Feb 17, 2016

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

I didn't fall, and there was a safety feature preventing anyone turning on the machine while we were in it. But the potential for injury was there. (It was a cool adventure.)

Admit you loved it

My first helicopter ride was on assignment. Thankfully, I didn't have to talk in the helicopter.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for sharing the experience Feb 17, 2016

Mario Freitas wrote:

But I have had the chance (if you can call it a chance) to work on a construction site for six months, following the expatriates in their routine, and I'll tell you I ran the risk of a serious accident practically every day. Before I was mobilized, I had to go through several medical adnd physical exams I never had to go through before. Then, when I arrived, I had to go through very tough and practical training sessions on work at heights, confined spaces, rescuing and first aid. Only then I realized where I had ended up.

I worked for six month wearing all the PPE+Outfit of about 25 lbs under the sun at 40 ºC, around heavy machinery, pits, contaminated slurry, cranes, mills, offroad trucks, substations and climbing up to the highest points of the plant with not much protection. I was glad I survived it without a scratch. A great experience I do not want ever again.

Glad you didn't sustain any injuries, Mario. Now I'm thinking of writing a blog entry about the whole topic, adding the importance of being prepared with our own list of terms and conditions to cover on-site injuries (to be covered by the company's insurance, of course).

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I'll help you out, if you wish Feb 18, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

Glad you didn't sustain any injuries, Mario. Now I'm thinking of writing a blog entry about the whole topic, adding the importance of being prepared with our own list of terms and conditions to cover on-site injuries (to be covered by the company's insurance, of course).

We're all subject to these things, if you accept the job, of course. Theoretically, a translator would not have to go through all that, but I was about to loose my job, with three kids in school. I had to accept it. And it was not such a bad thing.

In my case, I had full registration as a company employee, and therefore full insurance coverage. But many of us don't, depending on who is hiring you. It's very important to warn people about the requirements they should have, indeed.

Nowadays, I'm not subject to this kind of thing anymore, and I would probably not accept it, as I haven't already in two other occasions. However, any of our colleagues called to work as an interpreter in a hostile or unsafe site will surely be subject to the same risks as the welder, the crane operator, the soldier, etc., depending on the site.

Catharine Cellier-Smart
Catharine Cellier-Smart  Identity Verified
Reunion
Local time: 08:46
French to English
+ ...
Helicopters Feb 18, 2016

Parrot wrote:

My first helicopter ride was on assignment. Thankfully, I didn't have to talk in the helicopter.

I submitted this poll question a LONG time ago, and I can't quite remember what incident provoked it, but I think a helicopter ride (as part of an interpreting assignment) had something to do with it!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:46
Member (2006)
German to English
What Feb 18, 2016

Mario Freitas wrote:

But I have had the chance (if you can call it a chance) to work on a construction site for six months, following the expatriates in their routine, and I'll tell you I ran the risk of a serious accident practically every day. Before I was mobilized, I had to go through several medical and physical exams I never had to go through before. Then, when I arrived, I had to go through very tough and practical training sessions on work at heights, confined spaces, rescuing and first aid. Only then I realized where I had ended up.

I worked for six months wearing all the PPE+Outfit of about 25 lbs under the sun at 40 ºC, around heavy machinery, pits, contaminated slurry, cranes, mills, offroad trucks, substations and climbing up to the highest points of the plant with not much protection. I was glad I survived it without a scratch. A great experience I do not want ever again.

[Edited at 2016-02-18 03:56 GMT]

translating / interpreting work did you do on top of a building on construction site?

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Interpreters do not work on desktops! Feb 18, 2016

Michael Harris wrote:

What translating / interpreting work did you do on top of a building on construction site?

Most engineering projects in Brazil have several expatriate managers. A good portion of them is mobilized on-ste, and they don't speak a word of Portuguese. And they have to talk to Brazilian foremen who don't speak a word of English, all day long, every day. So they request an interpreter to follow them. I wasn't an exception here. Several of my friends had the same kind of job. You will always find Canadians, Australians, South Africans, etc. in jobsites in Brazil. Many times followed by an interpreter full time.

The person I worked for had worked previously in jobsites in Madagascar, Indonesia and China, always with interpreters.

As I said, we sit in front of our computers wondering what "injuries" could a translator be subject to, but in addition to my example, see the example of other colleagues, of interpreters working in war sites and post-disaster sites. The press is everywhere, too.

[Edited at 2016-02-18 12:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been injured while working as a translator or interpreter?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »