Poll: What do you do when you have to work with a TM with bad translations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 15, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you do when you have to work with a TM with bad translations?".

This poll was originally submitted by Akke Wagenaar. View the poll results »

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 15:18
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 15, 2016

This has never happened to me as I only work with my own TMs.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same here Feb 15, 2016

I don't work with other people's TMs. In fact, I don't recall ever having being asked to do so. Nor do I relish being asked to work with glossaries compiled by other people, although I don't remember the last time I was asked to do that either.

However, I must add that I don't approve of "bad translations" anywhere, anytime or anyplace

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Inform client and complain Feb 15, 2016

I usually inform the client if it is really bad and ask for higher payment. I have been "tricked" a few times into using a bad TM. Sometimes clients do not pay me for 100% matches, so I inform them that the 100% matches are incorrect or badly translated. I may correct some but I won't go through all of them if I ma not being paid.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Feb 15, 2016

Talk to my customer and if necessary, get a new word count with a new TM, and then work with my TM.
I have had enough TM´s that were a load of rubbish, and as long as I am not allowed to change the text, that is their problem.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:18
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Ditto Feb 15, 2016

@Ian Jones

Yes, once duped twice shy.

If you make a minor correction to something that is absolutely atrocious and that really needs to be completely rewritten, then it's your name that is transferred to the translation and it's your reputation that goes down the drain.

Grrrr

Chié_JP
Chié_JP
Japan
Local time: 22:18
Member (2013)
English to Japanese
+ ...
The wonderful point is Feb 15, 2016

Client usually refuses to correct or pay for correction. I learned a lesson not to get involved in such a project!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:18
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other - Correct All Feb 15, 2016

I correct all translations. I only submit translations I consider correct. I don't care if someone else translated it incorrectly before. If the client requires the use of their TM, I'll make all corrections I judge necessary. In case of doubt, I will ask the client, but only if I'm not sure. If I know the translation is bad or if even if it's not wrong but I can make it better, I will not think twice. I will put it the right way.

If you don't to that, you will be an "accessory", as
... See more
I correct all translations. I only submit translations I consider correct. I don't care if someone else translated it incorrectly before. If the client requires the use of their TM, I'll make all corrections I judge necessary. In case of doubt, I will ask the client, but only if I'm not sure. If I know the translation is bad or if even if it's not wrong but I can make it better, I will not think twice. I will put it the right way.

If you don't to that, you will be an "accessory", as responsible for the mistakes as the person who made them.

If you are a dentist and your patient comes in with a tooth glued with "super bonder" by some incompetent practician, will you not warn the client and tell them it must be fixed?

Regarding the comments, I only add comments if I'm doing revision. In translation jobs, very rarely.
Collapse

Josef Šoltes
Josef Šoltes  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
Negotiate with a client Feb 15, 2016

Always negotiate. My responsibility is to report it. What client then does is his responsibility, he is aware. If I am not paid for it, then I won't fix it.

Egmont Schröder
Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
Inform client Feb 16, 2016

I put it on a querylog along with other questions about the translation and errors in the source text (only when I get paid for checking 100% matches). I always try to give them this querylog one day before the deadline, but sometimes it is only a few hours.
They often don't reply at all, but at least I am doing my job.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do when you have to work with a TM with bad translations?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »