Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Poll: What was your first translation project about?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 10, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What was your first translation project about?".

This poll was originally submitted by samah A. fattah. View the poll results »

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2016-03-08 18:22 GMT]

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:38
French to Spanish
+ ...
Other Feb 10, 2016

It was a book by Jean-Jacques Rousseau! I was 18 or 19 years old and I was paid for it

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
technical Feb 10, 2016

Car documents from German into Italian

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:38
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Can't remember Feb 10, 2016

It was over 30 years ago. Quite possibly it was such an ordeal that I want to forget it.

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Whisky! Feb 10, 2016

Of course...

Nele Van den Broeck
Nele Van den Broeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
French to Dutch
+ ...
Other Feb 10, 2016

My very first paid translation (so not counting translations for charity or university) was a rather large text about shopping and tourism in Madrid and was published in a magazine.

My first paid translation after becoming a freelancer was about architecture and included a lot of history as well.

Béatrice DEZERALD
Béatrice DEZERALD  Identity Verified
France
Member (2008)
English to French
+ ...
Medical Feb 10, 2016

The first one as a freelancer was a study about Epizootic Rabbit Enteropathy in industrial farms.

But my very first paid translation (just before I left college, I did it for a PhD student !) was about the social role of megaliths construction in Central African Republic.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Recycling cardboard Feb 10, 2016

It was a rubbish translation

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 02:38
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Feb 10, 2016

My very first translation work (non-paid) was a pilot operating handbook (my first husband was an Air Force pilot). My first paid translation project was a long paper on financial management commissioned by my boss for a conference he was attending.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Don't remember Feb 10, 2016

It may have been a medical article or a document for Telefónica, the Spanish telecom provider, but that was way back in the early 90s.

Giovanna Alessandra Meloni
Giovanna Alessandra Meloni  Identity Verified
Italy
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Other Feb 10, 2016

My mother's friend asked to help his son who had an exam and part of the matarial was in English. I don't remember exactly the subject, but he studied Political Sciense, so probably was some speciliastic article related to.
Probably it was 20 years ago.

My first professional translation job was about Real Estate (I worked in a Real estate agency), probably from Spanish into Italian.

Francesca Grandinetti
Francesca Grandinetti
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Gardening Feb 10, 2016

A job on landscape gardening for my Dad. It was an interpreting service deit...and I was almost scared

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't remember Feb 10, 2016

Some of my earliest translations were medical, in the neurology (brain surgery) and thoracic areas. I also started early on regional government and market research texts, but there's no way I can remember my first ever translation after roughly 20 years.

I was given my first ever laptop in the early 90s by a client... If I still had it, it would be a good candidate as a museum relic!

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:38
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Technical manual Feb 10, 2016

August 1973, the "Allis Chalmers' Low-Head Vibrating Screens Installation, Operation, and Maintenance Manual", as I began my internship as a Mechanical Engineering sophomore at their Brazilian subsidiary.

They looked very much like these, the box-shaped structures with three "thingies" (the encased vibrating mechanisms) on the top of each, at the bottom right here:
... See more
August 1973, the "Allis Chalmers' Low-Head Vibrating Screens Installation, Operation, and Maintenance Manual", as I began my internship as a Mechanical Engineering sophomore at their Brazilian subsidiary.

They looked very much like these, the box-shaped structures with three "thingies" (the encased vibrating mechanisms) on the top of each, at the bottom right here:

Some 30 years later, while moving home, I found a copy that manual, read it, and realized that it was a good start.

Well, AMOF this was the first PAID translation project I had.

In junior high school I had a stab at translation. Whenever we had a research paper to do, instead of merely copying stuff from Brazilian encyclopedias (Barsa, Delta-Larousse, Merito) I went to the US Consulate library (at that time only three blocks from my school), and translated from lesser-known American encyclopedias (NOT the widespread Britannica, but Collier, Thompson, etc.). The uniqueness of the material, compared to my classmates' guaranteed my A+ on these essays, to offset my lower grades on tests.
Collapse

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:38
Italian to English
Other Feb 10, 2016

A biography of a film director for a major cinema website. I did it free of charge in return for a credit and a link to my e-mail address, which brought me my first paid commissions.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What was your first translation project about?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »