Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9]
Poll: What was your first translation project about?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Ileana Fernandez Oakes
Ileana Fernandez Oakes  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
My first paid translation project Mar 14, 2016

My first paid translation project was the first assignment of medical records for Social Security Administration. It was assigned on 01/14/2011. This project is part of a long term contract with SSA. So far it has been 5 years participating in this project. I have learned many, many good tips for my professional development.

Anne McDowall
Anne McDowall  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 21:16
Member (2016)
French to English
+ ...
Stuff you learnt at school Mar 16, 2016

I fell into translation almost by accident (my background is as an editor in book publishing, which I still combine with book translations) when two publishing clients simultaneously asked me whether I'd be up for translation work. The first book was a 'cahier de vacances pour adultes' and was great fun to work on: in addition to translating questions on all sorts of subjects, I had to commission new ones for about a third of the book.

Cynthia Coan
Cynthia Coan
United States
Local time: 12:16
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My first _paid_ translation project ... Apr 1, 2016

... was a patent, which I was asked to translate from Swedish into English. I found the project challenging but interesting, and I rapidly developed an affinity for patent translation, which I do from time to time in addition to medical subject matter not in the form of patents. As for translation quality, I would consider my translation passable, but not necessarily brilliant. I would not have won any awards for my translation speed (fortunately this has improved with experience and CAT tool... See more
... was a patent, which I was asked to translate from Swedish into English. I found the project challenging but interesting, and I rapidly developed an affinity for patent translation, which I do from time to time in addition to medical subject matter not in the form of patents. As for translation quality, I would consider my translation passable, but not necessarily brilliant. I would not have won any awards for my translation speed (fortunately this has improved with experience and CAT tools), but luckily the client was patient and seemed happy with the translation once complete.

Several years before that, I translated, on an unpaid volunteer basis, a Swedish version of a comic book featuring Donald Duck in outer space. Given that this book had probably originally appeared in English, I guess my translation would be considered a back translation. The vocabulary, while not any more technical than one would expect for a typical comic book, presented certain challenges when it came to deciphering expressions and idioms. It was a good project for a Swedish student, which I was at the time.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What was your first translation project about?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »