Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
Poll: What was your first translation project about?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 08:11
Danish to English
+ ...
Luggage handling systems for airports Feb 10, 2016

Presuming the question refers to paid projects...

My first job after graduation was as a technical translator in the documentation department of a company that manufactures machinery for luggage and materials handling. I knew nothing about the subject but worked with engineers who knew everything about the products and were good at explaining even the tiniest details. A perfect combination for a newbie translator...

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
German to French
+ ...
General Feb 10, 2016

I don't remember what my very first translation in professional life was, probably something to do with printers or cars.
But my first one as a freelancer was a job offer. It was very short and easy, but I got it on the very first day I went freelance, so you can imagine how happy I was.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:11
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's coming back to me Feb 10, 2016

I voted that I don't remember, as it more than 50 years ago. But yes, I was a bilingual secretary and my boss used to ask me to translate annual reports. It wasn't in my job description. My first paid translation was a book-length report (about 300 pages) on socioeconomic development in Latin America.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
a report Feb 10, 2016

a report on TV channels in Abu Dhabi!

I think I did a very bad job, but they were happy.
I then went on to luxury yachts and a book on the history of Africa, and polished up my act considerably once I was hired as an in-house translator in an upmarket agency where my work was proofread beyond perfection by the ultimate perfectionist

Elizabeth Faracini
Elizabeth Faracini  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:11
Member (2010)
Italian to English
+ ...
Tourist information Feb 10, 2016

I was teaching English at a language school in northern Italy, and their regular translator was unavailable for a translation of tourist information about a variety of Italian regions, to be used by a hotel chain.

The school director assigned me the project and had me review a draft together with the experienced translator, who as I recall gave me some valuable tips.

Simon Klys
Simon Klys
Germany
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Deportation documents Feb 10, 2016

Documents explaining to a Pakistani gentleman that he was to be deported

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Feb 10, 2016

Translation of an artist's website.

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Technical Feb 10, 2016

My very first job as a translator was a RU>IT translation of a specification and some drawings of a cable railway for transporting goods in Uzbekistan. I had graduated only a month before it, so it was great!

Unfortunately, it took me over two months to get paid.... but well begun is half done, right? lol

[Edited at 2016-02-10 13:51 GMT]

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
When I was an undergraduate in 1969 ... Feb 10, 2016

I responded to an ad by a professor looking for someone to translate an article on the flora and fauna in the Lake Titicaca basin. The following year I did more translations – also on topics I knew nothing about. Shockingly, there were no complaints!

Kimrey Batts
Kimrey Batts  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
USAID Reports Feb 10, 2016

...while working as Projects Coordinator at a small NGO (not part of the job description, of course, but I quickly found that I enjoyed it). My first freelance job was a 100-page economic report for the Central Bank of Ecuador. I'm fairly sure I did I terrible job looking back on it, but it (the payment in particular) gave me the motivation to continue working on my translation skills.

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:11
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Insurance Feb 10, 2016

And the rest, as they say, is history ....

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Environnement Feb 10, 2016

And it was from recordings (on tape at the time). Soundtrack of films about environment for a festtival. I still remember the very first sentence I translated professionally - it was a Bulgarian film for children, about being nice to animals: "Of what is there the most in a zoo? Animals - and children."

Magdalena Rezacova
Magdalena Rezacova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Other Feb 10, 2016

A small book on Christian spirituality from English to Czech and it was later published by a renowned publisher in my country. I remember it very well because I typed it on a typewriter - it was over 20 years ago!

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Engineering Feb 10, 2016

It was the dialogue for a film about springs (the suspension type IIRC).

Sanmar
Sanmar
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:11
Dutch to English
Anti fuel theft device Feb 10, 2016

This was about 25 years ago. The job consisted of about 400 words but I remember it took me at least a day before I decided I was happy with it! Additionally, I had it checked by a relative in the Netherlands.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What was your first translation project about?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »