Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you prefer to use a specific type or layout of keyboard?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
QWERTY vs DVORAK Feb 7, 2016

Mario Chavez wrote:

The QWERTY design in most Western keyboards is the triumph of marketing, not better design and ergonomics. That distinction belongs to the Dvorak design.

The QWERTY design was invented to slow down the typist because fast typing caused the keys to get stuck on manual typewriters. The Dvorak design allows faster typing. The dead weight of tradition ...

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:27
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
QWERTY with stickers Feb 7, 2016

I have a regular QWERTY keyboard with Cyrillic stickers on the bottom right-hand corners of the keys. As I translate RU>EN, the majority of my typing is in English, but I have set the computer up so that I can toggle between RUS and ENG keyboard settings. I wouldn't want to switch to a different layout, as I would have to learn to touch-type all over again.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 18:27
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
QWERTY with the extra Danish letters Feb 7, 2016

I have to have a QWERTY keyboard adapted for Danish, and my favourite is an ancient IBM with very good, springy keys that offer some resistance to my clumsy typing.

I did not have the patience to get used to a colleague's curved keyboard - it did not feel more comfortable. I can type happily for hours without problems on my favourite keyboard.

Of course, it has Å to the right of P, and to the right of L it has Æ and Ø.
The puncutation is largely to the right o
... See more
I have to have a QWERTY keyboard adapted for Danish, and my favourite is an ancient IBM with very good, springy keys that offer some resistance to my clumsy typing.

I did not have the patience to get used to a colleague's curved keyboard - it did not feel more comfortable. I can type happily for hours without problems on my favourite keyboard.

Of course, it has Å to the right of P, and to the right of L it has Æ and Ø.
The puncutation is largely to the right of M, and the various brackets are on the top row with the figures.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:27
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Thank you, all Feb 8, 2016

For your input.

It seems that with all the language idiosyncrasies out there, I think that quirky not QWERTY seems the norm.

@Sophie
Believe me, you'd find the long space bar a godsend compared to the little short things that are passed off as space bars over here.

A little joke to end this comment:

"Where do astronauts hang out after a hard day's work?"

... See more
For your input.

It seems that with all the language idiosyncrasies out there, I think that quirky not QWERTY seems the norm.

@Sophie
Believe me, you'd find the long space bar a godsend compared to the little short things that are passed off as space bars over here.

A little joke to end this comment:

"Where do astronauts hang out after a hard day's work?"

The groan worthy answer is mentioned twice above
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
QWRTY and mechanical Feb 8, 2016

I'm a very fast typist and a mechanical keyboard is a must for me. They can be very expensive. You could buy a whole computer for what I paid for the one I'm using now.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer to use a specific type or layout of keyboard?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »