Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you usually work on Sundays?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 31, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually work on Sundays?".

This poll was originally submitted by Miloš Stojadinović. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:55
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jan 31, 2016

Sometimes, it depends on the workflow. I take my day(s) off whenever I feel like, that’s one of the perks of being a freelance translator, isn’t it?

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:55
Czech to French
+ ...
special circumstances Jan 31, 2016

which crop up on most Sundays.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:55
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Almost all Sundays Jan 31, 2016

I'm in the office, either translating or getting other desk work out of the way.

On Sundays, there are no phone calls, e-mails to reply to or other mundane distractions which all boils down to quality work time for Holmsey. I can take time off in lieu whenever I want to during the week when it's easier to get a place in restaurants, for example, and take my time over dinner without being hurried.

Nuff said. Must get back to work. ...
See more
I'm in the office, either translating or getting other desk work out of the way.

On Sundays, there are no phone calls, e-mails to reply to or other mundane distractions which all boils down to quality work time for Holmsey. I can take time off in lieu whenever I want to during the week when it's easier to get a place in restaurants, for example, and take my time over dinner without being hurried.

Nuff said. Must get back to work.

Small edit

[Edited at 2016-02-01 07:58 GMT]
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:55
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Often Jan 31, 2016

I think this should have been an option. I'd say I work on Sundays about 70% of the time, depending on my workload.

However, I often take time out during the week to attend to personal matters, and sometimes even to have fun. That's the beautiful of freelancing!

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Always Jan 31, 2016

The best day of the week to do any work.
This is probably a religious related question, but nope not for me, I am responsible for my family and myself, and we take time for each other on other days when I have time.
There are 24 hours a day, to be used as we wish (I recon I could do with 36 though)

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Usually, yes Jan 31, 2016

Along with my other weekend activities, today I will revise/edit at least one academic paper, which means I shall have one less to do tomorrow. This is a relatively quiet weekend for me, as I have nothing desperately urgent to deliver, and if I wanted I could take the whole day off and do something else. However, I'm quite content to do a bit of winter pruning in the garden, with a bit of proofing and admin to fill in the cracks.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Hebrew to English
Yes, usually Jan 31, 2016

It's a normal working day in Israel, and even though I'm in England given my language pair it makes sense to at least be available to answer emails, even if I don't actually work (although I often do).

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, usually, but Jan 31, 2016

not always.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
My own timetable Jan 31, 2016

Working on Sundays was not on my plans when I join the Corps des Traducteurs.

I thought that I would get an in-house job as a translator after my years of university study, degree in hand. When I arrived in New York City, every translator I met and his grandma were freelancers. So I had to adjust my thinking and my expectations: long hours to meet deadlines. I discovered the peaceful feeling of working really early in the morning or really late into the wee hours.

... See more
Working on Sundays was not on my plans when I join the Corps des Traducteurs.

I thought that I would get an in-house job as a translator after my years of university study, degree in hand. When I arrived in New York City, every translator I met and his grandma were freelancers. So I had to adjust my thinking and my expectations: long hours to meet deadlines. I discovered the peaceful feeling of working really early in the morning or really late into the wee hours.

However, Sundays were off limits at the time because I was an observant Mormon. However, the nature of freelancing with its ups and downs forced me to finally concede to the market realities and Sunday became an extension of last resort.

So now, I work 5-6 days a week, including Sundays.
Collapse

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Sometimes Jan 31, 2016

Like many others here my answer is "sometime". To an extent I can make my own schedule as freelance - or sometimes I find that my clients have graciously all agreed to give me a weekday off so that I can work over the weekend for them

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Never Jan 31, 2016

Except today! But it was only 15 minutes, as something else has cropped up for tomorrow morning.

I totally agree that as a freelancer I'm free to work whenever. But as a wife and mother...

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
Sometimes Jan 31, 2016

Like today, for instance, when I am finishing off a 15,000 word translation. I don't have to have it done until tomorrow afternoon but Sunday can be a bit of a boring day and something might crop up tomorrow!

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Yes, Jan 31, 2016

but not all day - usually a few hours depending on deadlines etc.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Sometimes Jan 31, 2016

No sometimes option. I did some work today as I had slow week last week and have possible extra work tomorrow, so I worked to fit in all my work ready for delivery on Tuesday.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually work on Sundays?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »