Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you fear losing clients whenever you go on vacations?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on the client Dec 14, 2015

For my 3 or 4 best clients, I tend to want to be available most of the time. And for my number one client, I simply don't want to see the quality slipping, because if they are in a hurry they will either try to do it themselves or get someone else to do it and whenever they have done so, the results have been... less than optimum. If I'm going on holiday, I usually tell them in advance and say that I will be able to handle the important stuff, although it will take longer than usual because I am... See more
For my 3 or 4 best clients, I tend to want to be available most of the time. And for my number one client, I simply don't want to see the quality slipping, because if they are in a hurry they will either try to do it themselves or get someone else to do it and whenever they have done so, the results have been... less than optimum. If I'm going on holiday, I usually tell them in advance and say that I will be able to handle the important stuff, although it will take longer than usual because I am away.

Another point to consider is that I actually enjoy my job, and tend to get rather bored if I have absolutely nothing to do.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:25
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
With some clients... Dec 14, 2015

With some clients, there is such risk. But that's considering long vacations (more than 10 days).

However, I haven't had one of those in many years, so it's not a real problem right now.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
If I were outsourcing I'd be very wary of anybody claiming to be "available all the time" Dec 14, 2015

Thayenga wrote:

I just went on vacation for 2 weeks and still have my clients. All it takes is to inform them ahead of time and then remind them again the day before I leave.

I may have lost a client once during a vacation - but it was still worth it.
I regularly turn down jobs, or ask to postpone deadlines, because I'm already fully booked, and I can't see how taking a vacation would be any different.

I believe that taking time off makes me a better translator, and generally tell my clients exactly that when I send out my e-mail reminder before leaving.

[Edited at 2015-12-14 20:03 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-12-15 05:40 GMT]

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
German to English
+ ...
I wouldn't forget either Dec 14, 2015

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I do remember a PM once saying to me, "If you turn down a job, your name goes to the bottom of our list." I didn't forget that.

I would remember that comment. I'd make sure to increase my client base, and put that one to the bottom of my own list. That is a dreadful attitude.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Overcooked ham, that PM Dec 15, 2015

Cecilia Civetta wrote:

Muriel Vasconcellos wrote:

I do remember a PM once saying to me, "If you turn down a job, your name goes to the bottom of our list." I didn't forget that.

I would think it twice before working with someone with such an attitude!

Such a lousy attitude indeed. I've never had anyone tell me that. Then again, I've worked for managers (when I was an in-house translator) who could behave lousily at times.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hege has a point Dec 15, 2015

Phrases to be leery of:

I'm available 24/7 all year
I offer quality translations really fast
We have 4,000 tested freelance translators in our database
We translate all languages, all specializations

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:25
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

What is a 'vacation'? Dec 15, 2015

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
I never go on vacations Dec 15, 2015

Sometimes I take a holiday, though... But I dont' invite clients along... That would sort of defeat the purpose of being on holiday...

[Edited at 2015-12-15 07:48 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you fear losing clients whenever you go on vacations?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »