Poll: Do you dream of current translation projects at night?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 29, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you dream of current translation projects at night?".

This poll was originally submitted by Peter Valárik. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:19
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, sometimes! Nov 29, 2015

Yes, occasionally, never about the subject in itself (God forbid as I have been translating mostly medical devices for some time now!), but about cancellations, deadlines and other freelancer “nightmares” even for the more seasoned among us.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:19
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No, thank you! Nov 29, 2015

I think I'd wake up in a cold sweat if I dreamt about any of the stuff I translate - automotive repair manuals, programmable controllers and other control devices for robots and other machine tools, in-house information security rules (a real nightmare), semiconductor functional specifications, sewage treatment plants (yekkk!), etc. etc.

... See more
I think I'd wake up in a cold sweat if I dreamt about any of the stuff I translate - automotive repair manuals, programmable controllers and other control devices for robots and other machine tools, in-house information security rules (a real nightmare), semiconductor functional specifications, sewage treatment plants (yekkk!), etc. etc.

My dreams really should be exciting since the manuals I translate are full of grinding and reaming, male/female parts, grease nipples, lubrication, pumping, mating parts, discharge, etc. Sometimes it's really hard not to blow a gasket or two!

Small edit

[Edited at 2015-11-30 06:10 GMT]
Collapse

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:19
German to English
+ ...
Trados Nov 29, 2015

I often dream of Trados segments. I think you may refer to it as a nightmare.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Nov 29, 2015

Probably. I'm bound to. But in general, I don't think I tend to remember most of my dreams...

Petra Van Caneghem
Petra Van Caneghem
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes, sometimes Nov 29, 2015

I do sometimes dream of the projects I work on during the day.
Most of my work is literature (non-fiction, tourism) and the subjects sometimes find a way into my dreams.
Not always unpleasant ...

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:19
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
They aren't pleasant dreams... Nov 29, 2015

I end up exhausted the next day if I translate in my sleep.
So I try to do something that is visually very different for at least an hour before going to bed.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 06:19
Dutch to English
+ ...
No Nov 29, 2015

I don't dream of translation but I do sometimes wake up in the morning and suddenly know the right way of translating something that I was struggling with the day before. Something must have been going on in my brain while I was sleeping.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:19
English to Spanish
+ ...
A dream within a dream Nov 29, 2015

Poe may have been onto something when he wrote “a dream within a dream.” Lucid dreams, which are a core element in the movie Inception, are something I've experienced myself: everything seems very real, vivid, well defined.

I usually dream about stuff that makes me anxious or takes me back to my childhood or youth, but unless I am under tremendous pressure on a translation project, I won't have a dream about a particular topic I'm translating. Again, the anxiety.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:19
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I did, a few times, Nov 30, 2015

usually when I stay up until sundown working... and it's usually a nightmare, one of those repetitive dreams that never end.

neilmac wrote:

Probably. I'm bound to. But in general, I don't think I tend to remember most of my dreams...

... actually, it's scientifically proven that we have several dreams at night, and we don't actually remember most of them, except maybe the last one or one with a marking scene. So, it may be possible that most of us do dream of our work, and don't even remember it... which is probably a good thing.

[Edited at 2015-11-30 01:11 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-30 01:11 GMT]

Zhihua Liu
Zhihua Liu
China
Local time: 20:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
Seems never Nov 30, 2015

Translation, no, not so far.
A few days ago, I had a dream and it's about my previous job...
I guess I just miss the fresh air and sunshine in the south.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you dream of current translation projects at night?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »