Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever been deeply affected by a translation you worked on?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 03:32
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 28, 2015

An acquaintance/student once asked me to translate the results/ medical report on a young girl who had been to the US for treatment for melanoma. The results and prognosis were bad and the family could ill aford the expense in the first place. I didn't charge for the service, it was the least I could do.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:32
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
handwritten letters Nov 28, 2015

There was nothing special about them, not even the greetings and love expressed at the end.
Except that they were written by a German Jewish family from a village in which no one survived the Holocaust.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:32
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Many times, but not deeply Nov 29, 2015

Many documents may sometimes surprise the translator with a reality they were not aware of. That adds to one's knowledge and may somehow 'affect' them or cause some level of commotion. But "deeply" is too deep a term to use here. So I voted "other".

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:32
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yes, many times, but one time especially Nov 29, 2015

I have one client for whom I have translated many a moving story over the years. But one article will always stand out from the rest.

It was about a seven-year-old girl who was found by the police and Social Services living in a closet, naked, except for a completely soiled and obviously days old diaper. She was severely malnourished, anemic, and her skin pocked with insect bites. She had never learned to walk properly in her confinement, had never been shown any kindness or been sp
... See more
I have one client for whom I have translated many a moving story over the years. But one article will always stand out from the rest.

It was about a seven-year-old girl who was found by the police and Social Services living in a closet, naked, except for a completely soiled and obviously days old diaper. She was severely malnourished, anemic, and her skin pocked with insect bites. She had never learned to walk properly in her confinement, had never been shown any kindness or been spoken to and consequently had never mastered speech. Her entire life, she had been suffering abuse and neglect, like an unwanted animal, and all this right in the middle of her family home, next to her two brothers and her mother.

Being a mother of a young girl myself, I was crying the whole time while translating, wondering, what must have happened to the souls of people to make them capable of such an extent of neglect and emotional imperviousness.

Fortunately, the girl was rescued, found a foster home with loving foster parents and a new foster brother who all helped her get better and blossom. But speech will always be out of her reach and she will be disabled for the rest of her life.

This story still haunts me and probably will do so forever.
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
No Nov 29, 2015

As for me, I’m not so passionate about my projects because I take it as it is—life is life and job is job; everything is but information, let alone it is the very client who decides what to do and how to feel about it.

Perhaps, it’s very similar to a long interpreting, when it goes automatically and one cannot remember what he was just translating or whether it really required any translation at all: you just have to and do it.

On the other hand, I do feel emoti
... See more
As for me, I’m not so passionate about my projects because I take it as it is—life is life and job is job; everything is but information, let alone it is the very client who decides what to do and how to feel about it.

Perhaps, it’s very similar to a long interpreting, when it goes automatically and one cannot remember what he was just translating or whether it really required any translation at all: you just have to and do it.

On the other hand, I do feel emotions listening to, watching, or reading both domestic and foreign sources, when it’s not my job/contract. Perhaps, it’s for there’s no such Art. as “enjoy your reading”.

Why, not long ago I translated a few books about origami and I really enjoyed making some paper things—not translating though)
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:32
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Nov 29, 2015

I did a series on human rights violations. One of them had to do with torture.

A lot of other translations stick in my mind because I learn so much from them, but not because they make me sad.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever been deeply affected by a translation you worked on?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »