Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which currency do you most often receive payments in?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
£££ Nov 25, 2015

Regardless of which currency I invoice to my clients, I actually RECEIVE payment in Pounds Sterling - the bank converts other currencies to Pounds when the funds arrive.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:09
German to English
+ ...
mostly CAD, some USD Nov 25, 2015

It stands to reason that Canadian customers may in Canadian dollars. My main overseas client also pays in CAD, but I've had some payments in USD and EURO.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:09
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Most definitely Nov 26, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

...for yen.

As I wrote in all previous polls resembling this.

Better yen than renminbi, eh?

"renminbi" no thank you!

And lots of J>E is being outsourced to China to be translated by Chinese. The result is as you would expect and some Japanese companies have learnt their lesson the hard way.
Chinese companies also try to recruit my services; however, I have found their rates are at the lower end of the bottom feeder scale.

FYI, the two countries that do J>E translation and pay the lowest rates are collectively referred to as "Chindia" among J>E translators here.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
More than just two currencies, you know Nov 26, 2015

My reality is that I get paid in US dollars. Once a Canadian company sent me a money order in Canadian dollars, but I had no trouble depositing it in my local bank account.

However, I find it a tad depressing that the poll only considers 3 options: euros, US dollars and your local currency. There are countries that use other currencies, and relegating them to a generic 'local currency' shows a bit of a bias, I think.

And some of us prefer the occasional gold bull
... See more
My reality is that I get paid in US dollars. Once a Canadian company sent me a money order in Canadian dollars, but I had no trouble depositing it in my local bank account.

However, I find it a tad depressing that the poll only considers 3 options: euros, US dollars and your local currency. There are countries that use other currencies, and relegating them to a generic 'local currency' shows a bit of a bias, I think.

And some of us prefer the occasional gold bullion, thank you very much!
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:39
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not convertible Nov 26, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:
However, I find it a tad depressing that the poll only considers 3 options: euros, US dollars and your local currency.

The reason could be that the only currencies that are fully convertible are the USD, the euro and the pound. My bank in India, for example, only trades in these currencies. Payments in other currencies would involve complicated intermediary banks and currency conversions at several levels, which means losing hard earned money at all these levels to currency conversion charges and bank fees.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:09
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
USD Nov 26, 2015

Although I have clients in Europe, Canadá, Israel... most of them pay me in USD, through PayPal, but I have no preference.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which currency do you most often receive payments in?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »