Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Could you have completed your last project without an Internet connection?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 24, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Could you have completed your last project without an Internet connection?".

View the poll results »

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:03
German to English
+ ...
It depends ... Nov 24, 2015

I could have completed the translation but not returned it.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 17:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, but... Nov 24, 2015

It would have taken me longer and I'd have had to deliver it by hand, and since I have to go and see my tech guy soon, and the client's facilties are on the way there, I could have killed two birds with one stone.

But the question is spurious anyway. It's like asking what you'd do if you won the lottery. My internet connection has rarely been down for more than 24 hours in the worst case scenarios to date.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 00:03
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes and No, too Nov 24, 2015

Mary Worby wrote:

I suppose you could always strap a memory stick onto a carrier pigeon's leg.

Quite frankly, in this day and age, an Internet connection is taken for granted. So, why this question? It's like asking if there are any translators out there still living in the Dark Ages?

You'd be paddling up whatsit creek if you didn't have an an Internet connection. And, besides, you would not be taking part in this poll. Duh!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Ditto! Nov 24, 2015

Mary Worby wrote:

Yesterday, I delivered 2 projects, one for a client in France an the other for a client in Germany... and neither required Internet research. Still remember those distant days when research meant going to the library and looking things up in books!

[Edited at 2015-11-24 13:54 GMT]

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes but Nov 24, 2015

Like others here I could have completed it but not delivered it to my client who is over 2,000 miles away from me. But then, I'd not have got the project without the internet, either.
I live in a place where internet connection can be unreliable and I have several back-up plans, starting with both satellite and landline internet connections at home, and various other access points in case of local failure on both of those ...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I could have, but I wouldn't have wanted to Nov 24, 2015

I think it's clear the question is about our reliance on the Internet for research purposes rather than sending and receiving files (don't forget we had modems before the Internet anyway!).

The upside of the Internet is that the days of going to the library, buying textbooks and faxing organisations for their official English name are long gone, and we can now produce better translations more quickly.

The downside is that the fruits of our labours can so easily be hijac
... See more
I think it's clear the question is about our reliance on the Internet for research purposes rather than sending and receiving files (don't forget we had modems before the Internet anyway!).

The upside of the Internet is that the days of going to the library, buying textbooks and faxing organisations for their official English name are long gone, and we can now produce better translations more quickly.

The downside is that the fruits of our labours can so easily be hijacked by eejits and used to undercut us and steal our work. For example, I used to do numerous sets of accounts each year, but now pretty much anyone can just crib off previous translators' work.

On balance, though, there's a huge net benefit, and when the Internet goes down I find it a complete nightmare.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Not within the time and cost alotted to it Nov 24, 2015

One of the reasons I've been able to keep my rates in domestic currency unchanged since 1994 is the Internet. I receive most of my inputs via e-mail or cloud transfer services and deliver most of them in the same way, both almost instantly.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
One of the best polls this year Nov 24, 2015

Yes, but only because it was a small one - but the same problem as all other about returning it.

I would definately not have been able to do that with a huge project I am also on at the moment, even with the internet I have the impression that I am the first to venture this sector, even the official government sites having different translations to refer to.

All the fun of translating.

Oh, and anonymous - NSA wanting to sell us some sort of satellite connec
... See more
Yes, but only because it was a small one - but the same problem as all other about returning it.

I would definately not have been able to do that with a huge project I am also on at the moment, even with the internet I have the impression that I am the first to venture this sector, even the official government sites having different translations to refer to.

All the fun of translating.

Oh, and anonymous - NSA wanting to sell us some sort of satellite connection....? Just 4 fun☺
Collapse

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
I wouldn't have got the project in the first place Nov 24, 2015

Currently 99.9% of my work comes to me over the internet. Without it, I would have to completely change my modus operandi.

Catherine De Crignis
Catherine De Crignis  Identity Verified
France
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
Yes but out of pure chance Nov 24, 2015

Chris S wrote:
I think it's clear the question is about our reliance on the Internet for research purposes rather than sending and receiving files

So do I.

Yes, I could have completed it, but only because for once I had to deliver a fairly simple editorial text whereas my normal jobs imply doing lots of research that would take days rather than hours without an internet connection.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 24, 2015

I could manage without the Internet this time, because the job was for a regular client, and the things I needed to look up were already in the concordance and Multiterm.

Earlier on, however, I have done quite a lot of Internet research on the Client's website and elsewhere to find the terminology.

Before the Internet existed, I would have spent a fair amount of time at some stage consulting the client or searching reference works. Or I might simply have turned down the
... See more
I could manage without the Internet this time, because the job was for a regular client, and the things I needed to look up were already in the concordance and Multiterm.

Earlier on, however, I have done quite a lot of Internet research on the Client's website and elsewhere to find the terminology.

Before the Internet existed, I would have spent a fair amount of time at some stage consulting the client or searching reference works. Or I might simply have turned down the jobs altogether as too technical!

I assume we would still have the telephone and snail-mail for communications, delivering the text and so on.

[Edited at 2015-11-24 13:59 GMT]
Collapse

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Nov 24, 2015

It was a very small file (part of a bigger project) and my Internet connection went down just when I wanted to send the file, so I connected my smartphone to my PC, saved the file in the Documents folder of my smartphone and sent the file from it. It is called "smartphone" for some reasons, after all

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Missing the point? Nov 24, 2015

I think some respondents have missed the point of this poll - I don't think it's asking whether you could have transmitted your last project other than electronically, but whether you could have done the necessary research without the Internet.

As it happens, the last project I completed (last week) didn't require Internet research because its terminology was already well-known to me, whereas the one I'm working on now requires a lot of investigation which would be harder without th
... See more
I think some respondents have missed the point of this poll - I don't think it's asking whether you could have transmitted your last project other than electronically, but whether you could have done the necessary research without the Internet.

As it happens, the last project I completed (last week) didn't require Internet research because its terminology was already well-known to me, whereas the one I'm working on now requires a lot of investigation which would be harder without the web. Doubtless I could do it, but it would take me much longer.
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Not always Nov 24, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:

Quite frankly, in this day and age, an Internet connection is taken for granted. So, why this question? It's like asking if there are any translators out there still living in the Dark Ages?

You'd be paddling up whatsit creek if you didn't have an an Internet connection. And, besides, you would not be taking part in this poll. Duh!

I must admit that a couple of years ago when I went Hungary for 6 weeks in a row and used to work in the garden, it all depended on which way the wind was blowing if you had internet or not, fortunately things have changed in the mean time, but it was a problem then - mobile not landline.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Could you have completed your last project without an Internet connection?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »