Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: How often do you translate into one or more of your source (non-native) languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:18
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In Brazil, it's a peculiar situation... Nov 24, 2015

I don't even think it's very ethical to translate into a language that is not one's native language. I don't submit quotes for such jobs, and many times I refuse them if it's not a regular client.

In Brazil, however, we have a very peculiar situation. Many agencies need to translate Portuguese documents into English, and they will not pay the price a native English translator charges in the UK or in the USA. They offer a lower price nobody would accept in the northern hemisphere. If
... See more
I don't even think it's very ethical to translate into a language that is not one's native language. I don't submit quotes for such jobs, and many times I refuse them if it's not a regular client.

In Brazil, however, we have a very peculiar situation. Many agencies need to translate Portuguese documents into English, and they will not pay the price a native English translator charges in the UK or in the USA. They offer a lower price nobody would accept in the northern hemisphere. If it is a regular client, I will take the job, if I feel comfortable with the subject, or someone else certainly will. And I have always done a good job and received compliments. I still don't think it's very advisable or very ethical, but I will not give the money away to another smart ass, knowing that this is what will happen, and that the agency will not hire a native speaker anyway.

[Edited at 2015-11-24 01:37 GMT]
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 21:18
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Never Nov 24, 2015

Quite simply because the rate in the other direction, English to Japanese, is half that of Japanese to English, the way I go.
And, even with an honours degree in Japanese and after 36 years here, I would have to get a native Japanese speaker to give it a once-over to iron out small wrinkles.

I do, of course, liaise with all my customers in Japanese - both written and verbally - extremely well even better than some NJS, I must add. ...
See more
Quite simply because the rate in the other direction, English to Japanese, is half that of Japanese to English, the way I go.
And, even with an honours degree in Japanese and after 36 years here, I would have to get a native Japanese speaker to give it a once-over to iron out small wrinkles.

I do, of course, liaise with all my customers in Japanese - both written and verbally - extremely well even better than some NJS, I must add.
Collapse

Zhihua Liu
Zhihua Liu
China
Local time: 20:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
Seldom Nov 24, 2015

Generally, I only translate from foreign to native.
However, I have a client who requires both translation and back translation, not too much though, I think that should count, too.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you translate into one or more of your source (non-native) languages?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »