Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you use any anti-radiation or anti-glare filters/protection for your computer screen?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 21, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you use any anti-radiation or anti-glare filters/protection for your computer screen?".

This poll was originally submitted by Regi2006. View the poll results »

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:54
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Matt screen Nov 21, 2015

I have non-glare screens.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:54
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but ... Nov 21, 2015

When the glare gets to me, I change the background color of my document to a very pale blue.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:54
Member (2006)
German to English
No Nov 21, 2015

I thought that modern screens do not need those things any more? Never used one anyway, not even in the 90s when I started using computers for CAD.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:54
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No! Nov 21, 2015

I have matte screens (PC and notebook)!

Filip Sanca
Filip Sanca  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
No Nov 21, 2015

I don't understand why I should.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 08:54
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Whazzat? Nov 21, 2015

Anti-glare filter/protection is a common feature of most screens/displays these says, anyway.
Nevertheless, computer shops in Japan still do ask if you want a shiny or matte screen here which is kind of strange for a high-tech country.

As a more sobering thought, though, any kind of measure to prevent your eyes from being subjected to bright light from overhead or peripheral lighting or light reflected sporadically from shiny objects is really necessary if you work for
... See more
Anti-glare filter/protection is a common feature of most screens/displays these says, anyway.
Nevertheless, computer shops in Japan still do ask if you want a shiny or matte screen here which is kind of strange for a high-tech country.

As a more sobering thought, though, any kind of measure to prevent your eyes from being subjected to bright light from overhead or peripheral lighting or light reflected sporadically from shiny objects is really necessary if you work for long stretches at a time in front of a computer unless you really want to screw up your eyesight.

Also, even flat LCD screens still produce static electricity which attracts small dust participles that are bounced back from the screen at you and, more importantly, at your eyes. Wearing glasses for protection when working in front of a computer is recommended even if you have 20x20 vision - for the time being, that is.
Collapse

Ikram Mahyuddin
Ikram Mahyuddin  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:54
English to Indonesian
+ ...
No Nov 21, 2015

No, but this poll is a kind of reminder to me. So, thank you for reminding me this way.
Now I have a plan to but an anti-radiation filter.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Take care of your eyes and eyesight Nov 21, 2015

I agree with Julian: take care of your eyes if you look at screens for long stretches of time.

A friend of mine gave me another piece of good advice: look out the window so that your eye muscles have a chance to stretch.

I use a free computer software called f.lux (you can google it and download it for Windows or Mac). This application changes the color temperature (yes, colors have temperatures!) depending on daylight so that the screen doesn't glare so strongly at you
... See more
I agree with Julian: take care of your eyes if you look at screens for long stretches of time.

A friend of mine gave me another piece of good advice: look out the window so that your eye muscles have a chance to stretch.

I use a free computer software called f.lux (you can google it and download it for Windows or Mac). This application changes the color temperature (yes, colors have temperatures!) depending on daylight so that the screen doesn't glare so strongly at you.

I've been testing it for months. At first, you perceive a slightly bluish tint on your screen, but then your eyes get so used to it everything looks normal.

Speaking of antiglare filters, 3M used to sell a very expensive (close to 50 US dollars) privacy filter for laptops. I never had a use for it.

[Edited at 2015-11-21 14:32 GMT]
Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:54
Member (2013)
English to Russian
I do, and so should you Nov 21, 2015

I use the program called f.lux that makes your computer screen reddish at nights. It reduces eye strain and prevents the disruption your sleep pattern.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 21, 2015

Apparently my specs have an anti glare coating. At least they charged me 40 quid and said they did, but I can't tell (I got 2 pairs the same in a 2-for-1 offer) which pair is the anti-glare one.

[Edited at 2015-11-21 17:50 GMT]

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Nope Nov 21, 2015

Have been using LCD's since some 2002-- from 12" to 32"--both matte and glossy--have no problems with my eyesight.

Why, I do wear yellowish anti-glare glasses when cycling (mostly to prevent insects getting into my eyes, which is not the case while translating, hopefully) and occasionally driving in haze or dusk.

If the screen is too bright or too dim, or it has some minor visual issues, one can always adapt it to one's needs; or replace it.

I can't see a p
... See more
Have been using LCD's since some 2002-- from 12" to 32"--both matte and glossy--have no problems with my eyesight.

Why, I do wear yellowish anti-glare glasses when cycling (mostly to prevent insects getting into my eyes, which is not the case while translating, hopefully) and occasionally driving in haze or dusk.

If the screen is too bright or too dim, or it has some minor visual issues, one can always adapt it to one's needs; or replace it.

I can't see a problem here, yet some my colleagues do wear glasses to appear somewhat more educated, intellectual, or something.

[Edited at 2015-11-21 19:15 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
What he said Nov 21, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:

I use the program called f.lux that makes your computer screen reddish at nights. It reduces eye strain and prevents the disruption [of] your sleep pattern.

DorothyX (X)
DorothyX (X)
France
No Nov 21, 2015

I don't know why I should. Glare screens are oldfashioned.

But I use f.lux too. Nice feature!

TranslateThis
TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:54
Spanish to English
+ ...
Great suggestion Nov 21, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:
Max Deryagin wrote:

I use the program called f.lux that makes your computer screen reddish at nights. It reduces eye strain

Thanks Mario and Max. I installed it today and it seems to be helping.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use any anti-radiation or anti-glare filters/protection for your computer screen?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »