Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What rate do you most often use with new clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 18, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What rate do you most often use with new clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Doan Quang. View the poll results »

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
Local time: 05:30
French to English
+ ...
Other Nov 18, 2015

High end of my standard rate band.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
The same price as usual Nov 18, 2015

I charge all customers as much as I think I can get away with.

No way on Earth would I offer a cheaper price to lure new customers in, as they'll just expect that price forever.

Agencies are getting pretty tight these days and few can stomach my rates, but direct customers are more reasonable about paying a professional rate for a professional service.

This morning I was asked to do a job of 11 words. It seems that most people here would have done it for f
... See more

No way on Earth would I offer a cheaper price to lure new customers in, as they'll just expect that price forever.

Agencies are getting pretty tight these days and few can stomach my rates, but direct customers are more reasonable about paying a professional rate for a professional service.

This morning I was asked to do a job of 11 words. It seems that most people here would have done it for free. I charged them our full minimum fee. Mercenary? No, they were just delighted I could squeeze the job in.

I think it pays to be firm. We're not market traders.
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
It depends Nov 18, 2015

Normally, I will offer them my usual standard rate for normal, doable texts. However, if I am very busy or don't really fancy the work for some reason, I might occasionally ask for a higher rate as a deterrent. Then, if the prospect accepts the higher rate, it's a bonus.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Standard rate Nov 18, 2015

unless the client insists on paying more - which is extremely rare

Regularly I find myself explaining that for a freelance translator there is absolutely no logic in offering discounts for 'prospective long-term collaboration' or large quantities of work.

Also, if we start to offer discounts like that it will undermine the whole market.

Some agencies just don't get that.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 12:30
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yep Nov 18, 2015

Chris S wrote:

I'm all for the ever upward earnings spiral. I want to at least maintain my earnings or improve them, preferably exponentially, while doing less work.

As for offering a standard or slightly cheaper price - it just may be acceptable if content is that much easier and the customer pays cash on delivery to an offshore account no questions asked.
In today's market where a lot of J>E translation is farmed out to Chindia, I do not want to end up relegated to New Delhi sweatshop status in spite of my 30+ years of experience and expertise.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Standard rate Nov 18, 2015

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

Regularly I find myself explaining that for a freelance translator there is absolutely no logic in offering discounts for 'prospective long-term collaboration' or large quantities of work.

Also, if we start to offer discounts like that it will undermine the whole market.

There is no reason to lower my price for new clients, especially not for a possibly long-term collaboration which can easily turn into a one-time project. There might be a chance to do a sentence for free after years and many, many projects for a loyal and good customer. But even this is solely at my descretion. Far too many discounts are already being dictated by some agencies, so why offer them?

Catherine Pawlick
Catherine Pawlick
United States
Local time: 06:30
Russian to English
+ ...
yes Nov 18, 2015

^ this. Unfortunately (apparently) a lot of translators out there *do* offer those discounts or agree to them, and it's destroying the market for all of us.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:30
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It depends! Nov 18, 2015

I don’t have a standard rate per se (I do have a minimum rate that I will never go below): it depends on the language combination, the subject matter and other practical circumstances…

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
Czech to French
+ ...
Depends, yes, Nov 18, 2015

but mostly higher - I have enough work and am only interested in new clients if they represent an improvement.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:30
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A lesson for all Nov 18, 2015

I saw it on a deli store truck here in Sao Paulo:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153394810277550&set=gm.1006176762738201&type=3&theater

It says:
We'd rather explain our price than apologize for the quality.

[Edited at 2015-11-18 16:38 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:30
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Same Nov 18, 2015

The same rate, because I suppoe they have the same high quality.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
As much as I can get away with Nov 18, 2015

Which means - the higher end of my standard rate in most cases. Saves me a lot of time bickering with low-ballers, and ensurs that my rate average increases over time (if economic fundamentals remain the same)

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
The old bait and switch Nov 19, 2015

Thayenga wrote:

Yetta J Bogarde wrote:

There is no reason to lower my price for new clients, especially not for a possibly long-term collaboration which can easily turn into a one-time project. There might be a chance to do a sentence for free after years and many, many projects for a loyal and good customer. But even this is solely at my descretion. Far too many discounts are already being dictated by some agencies, so why offer them?

I was approached by a translation company via LinkedIn this week. They said they were looking for new translators for their pharma/clinical trials. They approached me with a very professional email and everything seemed to check out. That is, until I sent them my rates.

They replied that they couldn't offer more than $0.10/new or no-match word. I offered a $0.13 compromise, but they didn't take it.

They didn't promise a steady run of projects nor some long-term relationship. I would be surprised if they (the agency) isn't insourcing work from a larger, more specialized translation company or outfit.

That's one of the reasons I prefer to negotiate rates on a case by case basis, because only a human being can gauge all those factors that play an essential part in starting a business relationship with a client. You can't trust an auction website (cough, cough) or a bot to do that for you.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
The downward price pressure Nov 19, 2015

Catherine Pawlick wrote:

^ this. Unfortunately (apparently) a lot of translators out there *do* offer those discounts or agree to them, and it's destroying the market for all of us.

On occasion I've thought: are translation agencies lacking a backbone? Can't they stand firm and tell their clients Sorry, but we hire highly educated and experienced professional translators, so we cannot agree to field your project with your budget. But you can always go to Fiverr, Translatorscafe, Mechanical Turk or similar websites.

[Edited at 2015-11-19 00:16 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What rate do you most often use with new clients?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »