Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: What rate do you most often use with new clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Brilliant! Nov 19, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I saw it on a deli store truck here in Sao Paulo:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153394810277550&set=gm.1006176762738201&type=3&theater

It says:
We'd rather explain our price than apologize for the quality.

[Edited at 2015-11-18 16:38 GMT]

I think I'll steal that quote!

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
French to English
Same rate, but immediate payment Nov 19, 2015

The deal is that any one-off client, as with clients I have from time to time, must pay upon receipt of the invoice. In France, it is standard practice to pay 30 days after the receipt of an invoice. (Clients still whinge that they need to be paid before they can pay their translators. What is it that makes them think they are any different from anyone else? If they order a service, they assume the responsibility for payment. If their client doesn't pay them, for example, does that mean they can... See more
The deal is that any one-off client, as with clients I have from time to time, must pay upon receipt of the invoice. In France, it is standard practice to pay 30 days after the receipt of an invoice. (Clients still whinge that they need to be paid before they can pay their translators. What is it that makes them think they are any different from anyone else? If they order a service, they assume the responsibility for payment. If their client doesn't pay them, for example, does that mean they can feel entitled not to pay me? Privity of contract between me and my client. It starts and end there). And even then, experience shows that good clients don't complain about the rate, nor do they pay late. I have clients who pay the day the invoice is received (with the translation) and from whom the payment is credited to my bank account within 24h hours, or 2 business days at the latest. Why then accept 30 days and whinging?!

[Edited at 2015-11-19 00:30 GMT]
Collapse

Platon Danilov
Platon Danilov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:54
English to Russian
+ ...
It depends Nov 19, 2015

It depends on the project rather than on the client.
And I also don't have a standard rate, but a standard range instead.

Zhihua Liu
Zhihua Liu
China
Local time: 04:54
English to Chinese
+ ...
Usually standard rate Nov 19, 2015

...... but for a few I'd offer a price range at first and then decide according to the complexity. When calculated, however, it should meet or exceed my minimum hourly rate.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:54
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
The meaning of standard Nov 20, 2015

If you have a standard rate, you offer it to every client, period.
If you have a variable rate, according to the client or type of service, you do not have a standard rate. It's anything BUT standard.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What rate do you most often use with new clients?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »