Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which of these best describes your idea of career advancement?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
You betcha Nov 13, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

I bet all translators with more than 10 years in the market voted for better rates and income. This is the obvious and incontestable result of your success. Having many clients, many regular clients, that pay a decent rate, and filling up as much of your time available as possible is the definite evidence of your competence. All other factors are secondary and a bit romantic, but profitless.

[Edited at 2015-11-13 17:31 GMT]

Wrong bet. Better rates and income may be one of the goals, or the most important goal, depending on circumstances.

Not everybody arrives at the same conclusions.

Hege Jakobsen Lepri
Hege Jakobsen Lepri  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 19:46
Member (2002)
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Me too Nov 13, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

I'm voting for the "all of the above" option!

And I would argue that most of the time, "all of the above" are connected.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 13:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nope! Nov 13, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:
I bet all translators with more than 10 years in the market voted for better rates and income.

With 40 or so years in this 'market', I voted 'Other'.

What's my 'other'? My idea of career advancement is getting to the point where, between 8 AM and 6 PM, I spend more time on leisure activities than on gainful employment.

I'm happy to report that I passed that critical milestone well over a decade ago. Roll on retirement

RL

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:46
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I hope I can do that too! Nov 15, 2015

Robin Levey wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:
I bet all translators with more than 10 years in the market voted for better rates and income.

With 40 or so years in this 'market', I voted 'Other'.

What's my 'other'? My idea of career advancement is getting to the point where, between 8 AM and 6 PM, I spend more time on leisure activities than on gainful employment.

I'm happy to report that I passed that critical milestone well over a decade ago. Roll on retirement

RL

I mentioned 10 years, not 40. When I reach that point, I hope my vote will change too!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 14:46
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
45% against 14% or lower... Nov 15, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

I bet all translators with more than 10 years in the market voted for better rates and income. This is the obvious and incontestable result of your success. Having many clients, many regular clients, that pay a decent rate, and filling up as much of your time available as possible is the definite evidence of your competence. All other factors are secondary and a bit romantic, but profitless.

[Edited at 2015-11-13 17:31 GMT]

Wrong bet. Better rates and income may be one of the goals, or the most important goal, depending on circumstances.

Not everybody arrives at the same conclusions.

The results of the poll speak for themselves. Bet won, with a wide margin.

[Edited at 2015-11-15 06:50 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which of these best describes your idea of career advancement?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »