Poll: About how often do you acquire a new client?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 10, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "About how often do you acquire a new client?".

View the poll results »

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:32
Member (2012)
English to Punjabi
+ ...
It varies but mostly within 3 months Nov 10, 2015

There is no fix possibility of new clients because of tight competition in market. But often in 3 months I get new client.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:02
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
The arithmetic has me beaten Nov 10, 2015

But I think it's nearer to one per month than any other category.

Started a list when I moved to Spain in July 2012 and so far there are 28 names on it. Is that about one per seven weeks or so?

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 09:02
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Other Nov 10, 2015

As often as I need to

Like right now, for instance. A client that gives me large jobs and tells me in advance has just canceled 7 out of 10 projects beginning this month and lasting till April that I had been frequently told were 'finalized.'

Time to prod existing clients, find new ones and talk to a lawyer.

Domenico Trimboli
Domenico Trimboli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:02
English to Italian
Hard to tell Nov 10, 2015

But I'd say I usually get 4/5 new clients per year, plus one-off jobs from time to time.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Acquire? Nov 10, 2015

Non sequitur = I don't know, couldn't really say.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:02
German to English
+ ...
Other Nov 10, 2015

I have a lot of end clients needing smaller translations. Sometimes it's as many as several in a week. I don't "acquire" them. I do work for them. Sometimes they do come back for other work, and also recommend me to their acquaintances and friends. So there is a certain kind of "acquisition".

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Not as often as I used to Nov 10, 2015

... for a variety of reasons.

When I started freelancing, I used to invoice at least one new client most months.

Some have come back, some have not. Some only turn up again at long intervals, so they are not all regulars by any means.

As I have been fully booked most of the time, I tend to be more choosy about new clients, but I still take on work for new clients several times a year.

Whether I 'acquire' clients, and if so when is a good questi
... See more
... for a variety of reasons.

When I started freelancing, I used to invoice at least one new client most months.

Some have come back, some have not. Some only turn up again at long intervals, so they are not all regulars by any means.

As I have been fully booked most of the time, I tend to be more choosy about new clients, but I still take on work for new clients several times a year.

Whether I 'acquire' clients, and if so when is a good question.
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Acquire, none. Nov 10, 2015

Honestly, I don't keep track of how many new clients find me throughout the year. Some I work with on a regular basis, some get a "sorry, fully booked" from me. It's been a few this year. 30 new clients a year with one-time projects are less important than a few who provide me with work on a regular basis.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:02
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
How about... Nov 10, 2015

... every 5 -6 years.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Nov 10, 2015

I get contacted every now and then, and if I have time, then I will give them a bash and if everything works out then I have a new customer. But seriously who keeps track of those sorts of things, we are translators, no marketing people doing statistics☺

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:02
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
We need all the data, just not the "when" Nov 10, 2015

Michael Harris wrote:
But seriously who keeps track of those sorts of things, we are translators, no marketing people doing statistics☺

We do need to keep invoice details, other contact details and client-specific T&C handy in our files. But I don't know how many of us would keep "date first contacted" handy enough to calculate an average frequency of new clients. I don't, although I could find out dates if it was important enough.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:02
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Depends Nov 10, 2015

on so many factors, it's nearly impossible to put a number on it.
Sometimes I'm working for the same old clients for months (which is good, it means they like my work!)
and sometimes I'm getting all new clients (also good! usually referred by existing clients, or sometimes from bids here on proz).
I'd say 90% of my work is for repeat/existing clients, and 10% new clients (who then become repeat/existing clients).

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Seriously? Nov 10, 2015

How hard can it be to guesstimate how many new customers you get in a year and extrapolate? Even translators surviving on proz cheapie titbits should be able to manage that on ten fingers.

I get about one new customer a year. At least I think I added that up right.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 21:02
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lately, every 2 or 3 weeks, Nov 11, 2015

New clients show up every 2 or 3 weeks, not considering the dozens of offers I refuse because they are obvious serial e-mails sent to tons of translators, or bacause the agency has less than 4.6 in the Blue Board.

Considering the jobs I actually accept, 2 or 3 weeks is reasonable. However, very few of them become regular clients. Some show up about two or three times a year, and some never show up again.

Considering regular clients, I'd reduce that number to 2 or 3 in a
... See more
New clients show up every 2 or 3 weeks, not considering the dozens of offers I refuse because they are obvious serial e-mails sent to tons of translators, or bacause the agency has less than 4.6 in the Blue Board.

Considering the jobs I actually accept, 2 or 3 weeks is reasonable. However, very few of them become regular clients. Some show up about two or three times a year, and some never show up again.

Considering regular clients, I'd reduce that number to 2 or 3 in a year, which is about the same number of regular clients that disappear after being regular for 2 years, usually because I try to negotiate a better price or because they want to change the standards in their favor, such as starting using a fkn online platform.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: About how often do you acquire a new client?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »