Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many days off do you generally take per week?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 9, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many days off do you generally take per week?".

This poll was originally submitted by Natalia Pedrosa. View the poll results »

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:34
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Other - no rule, no average Nov 9, 2015

That's why I consider myself a freelancer.

I might work for a couple of weeks without a day off, and may take an entire week off, depending on demand.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:34
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Same here! Nov 9, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

That's why I consider myself a freelancer.

I might work for a couple of weeks without a day off, and may take an entire week off, depending on demand.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 07:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
¡Que manías! Nov 9, 2015

I'm afraid my reaction to the notion of "take days off" is rather Clintonesque. For example, first define "off"...
I mean, as a translator I'm more or less permanently "on"... even when watching a movie I'm checking the subtitles for mistakes and things like that.

[Edited at 2015-11-09 09:39 GMT]

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Good to know I'm not the only one Nov 9, 2015

neilmac wrote:

I'm afraid my reaction to the notion of "take days off" is rather Clintonesque. For example, first define "off"...
I mean, as a translator I'm more or less permanently "on"... even when watching a movie I'm checking the subtitles for mistakes and things like that.

Kirsten Bodart
Kirsten Bodart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
And there's my hubby Nov 9, 2015

scolding me for 'ignoring him'...

As it is, I take one day off on average, because I feel I need it. I can do two weeks solid as I've just done now, but that's pushing it. My sleeping habits start eating into my mornings in that case. And that's a bad sign...

Nice to know I'm not the only one taking the working week to a 'new' level...

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:34
Portuguese to English
+ ...
What is this "Day Off" of which you speak? Nov 9, 2015

Basically, If there's work available, I'm working.

Emilien Buffard
Emilien Buffard
Argentina
Local time: 02:34
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
Weekend please! Nov 9, 2015

I try as much as possible not to work on weekend. 2 days off to relax my brain doing other activities and meeting friends are necessary to rock the week!

Odile Breuvart
Odile Breuvart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:34
English to French
+ ...
On demand Nov 9, 2015

It doesn't work like that.
I take a day off when I need one, irrespective of having worked 7 days a week for an amount of time for example.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's a day off? Nov 9, 2015

My dentist, who has a large practice, associates and employees, certainly takes days off, and not just because he earns more than me.

As a one-man independent operation, I rarely take a regular day or weekend off. I just listen to my body and my brain, and slow down when needed.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I have two little kids ... Nov 9, 2015

... and a wife who is a salaried employee, so I take weekends and vacation and occasional children's sick days off like ordinary mortals.

Now, it's certainly true that I'm not "off" on the weekends and on vacation and in the evening the way I would be if I could figure out a way to make good money by handing out french fries at McDonald's, but I do not regularly work during any of those "off" times and, if I do have to work, the amount of time spent doing so is pretty strictly limi
... See more
... and a wife who is a salaried employee, so I take weekends and vacation and occasional children's sick days off like ordinary mortals.

Now, it's certainly true that I'm not "off" on the weekends and on vacation and in the evening the way I would be if I could figure out a way to make good money by handing out french fries at McDonald's, but I do not regularly work during any of those "off" times and, if I do have to work, the amount of time spent doing so is pretty strictly limited (although a long-term project has had me working a lot more "overtime" than usual over the last six months).
Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Other Nov 9, 2015

I take evenings off, afternoons off according to my family's needs.

Usually I TRY to have Sunday off, which usually means I wake up a 6 am to work till 11 so I can have some time with them, and then I work 2pm-5pm - IF I have work to be done.

If I can I take the entire day off.

AT the end of the day... no rules

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
the weekend Nov 9, 2015

Emilien BUFFARD wrote:

I try as much as possible not to work on weekend. 2 days off to relax my brain doing other activities and meeting friends are necessary to rock the week!

My thoughts exactly! I don't work in the weekend (usually - exceptions are fairly rare) because those are the days I spend meeting friends and playing outside. Emails and other work-related things can wait until Monday.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
One, two or none Nov 9, 2015

I try to keep weekends free if possible but it is not always the case. Two weekends ago I worked all weekend as well as during the week and I worked yesterday but not Saturday.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
3 Nov 9, 2015

I just don't get the prevailing attitude on here that working 24/7 is something to be proud of or a necessary part of being a freelance translator.

Sure, you can do it if you want, but you don't have to. It isn't sustainable and it's ultimately rather pointless if you never get to spend all that money.

For me, being freelance is all about *me* being the boss. I shut down the office completely at weekends, and I often take a day or two off during the week to partake in
... See more
I just don't get the prevailing attitude on here that working 24/7 is something to be proud of or a necessary part of being a freelance translator.

Sure, you can do it if you want, but you don't have to. It isn't sustainable and it's ultimately rather pointless if you never get to spend all that money.

For me, being freelance is all about *me* being the boss. I shut down the office completely at weekends, and I often take a day or two off during the week to partake in an outrageously expensive pastime. I also waste a lot of my time on the internet like this each day and still comfortably support a demanding family of four.

Life is for living.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many days off do you generally take per week?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »