Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you ever send any projects or invoices by post?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 6, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you ever send any projects or invoices by post?".

This poll was originally submitted by Catharine Cellier-Smart. View the poll results »

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:25
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Nope Nov 6, 2015

Why should I? I assume my clients have printers...

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No, but I used to Nov 6, 2015

I well remember the days when I would rush to get my envelope in the FedEx mailbox before pickup. Sometimes I would chase the truck or drive all the way to the airport.

The envelope would contain a printout of the translation and a disk with the electronic file on it. I clearly remember the day I got my Internet connection and an e-mail account that enabled me to attach files. If I'm not mistaken, I continued to send printouts even after I got e-mail. That would be at the end of the
... See more
I well remember the days when I would rush to get my envelope in the FedEx mailbox before pickup. Sometimes I would chase the truck or drive all the way to the airport.

The envelope would contain a printout of the translation and a disk with the electronic file on it. I clearly remember the day I got my Internet connection and an e-mail account that enabled me to attach files. If I'm not mistaken, I continued to send printouts even after I got e-mail. That would be at the end of the 1990s.

[Edited at 2015-11-06 08:34 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Occasionally Nov 6, 2015

Although it is an increasingly infrequent occurrence nowadays, sometimes an accounting department may ask for a bill on paper, and in these cases I'm always ready to comply. However,I don't remember the last time I delivered a translation by post, in fact I don't recall ever doing so.

As all my clients are based reasonably near me, I might occasionally deliver an invoice by hand if I think the client might try to delay payment by claiming they haven't received it...

[Edited a
... See more
Although it is an increasingly infrequent occurrence nowadays, sometimes an accounting department may ask for a bill on paper, and in these cases I'm always ready to comply. However,I don't remember the last time I delivered a translation by post, in fact I don't recall ever doing so.

As all my clients are based reasonably near me, I might occasionally deliver an invoice by hand if I think the client might try to delay payment by claiming they haven't received it...

[Edited at 2015-11-06 08:33 GMT]
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Sworn translations Nov 6, 2015

As the Brazilian law on sworn translations stands unamended since it was passed in 1943 - though statewide regulations are updated from time to time - its output is always in hard copy.

Some clients come by to pick them up at the reception here, however many prefer to receive them via conventional mail. As there is a post office just a block away, I don't mind taking that short walk for some exercise. Now and then a client from overseas arranges for their preferred courier service t
... See more
As the Brazilian law on sworn translations stands unamended since it was passed in 1943 - though statewide regulations are updated from time to time - its output is always in hard copy.

Some clients come by to pick them up at the reception here, however many prefer to receive them via conventional mail. As there is a post office just a block away, I don't mind taking that short walk for some exercise. Now and then a client from overseas arranges for their preferred courier service to come here and pick it up.
Collapse

Sabrina Bruna
Sabrina Bruna  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
English to Italian
+ ...
Occured a couple of times Nov 6, 2015

Yes, a couple of times I have been asked to send my invoices by post but it is not a problem with me as long as I get paid

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No Nov 6, 2015

Like Muriel, not any more.
E-mail has made life much easier and cheaper in this respect.

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapore
Local time: 10:25
Member (2009)
Chinese to English
+ ...
Certified translation / affidavits Nov 6, 2015

Sometimes I need to certify and declare the accuracy of my translation. Or sometimes I need to go to the lawyer's office to affirm an affidavit of my translation. In both cases, I need to print and sign my translation. After that, it is delivered to my client by mail, courier or even by hand. However, a soft copy is also delivered by email at the same time.

As for sending invoices by post, I did it only once so far for a particular client. I try to meet a client's request whenever p
... See more
Sometimes I need to certify and declare the accuracy of my translation. Or sometimes I need to go to the lawyer's office to affirm an affidavit of my translation. In both cases, I need to print and sign my translation. After that, it is delivered to my client by mail, courier or even by hand. However, a soft copy is also delivered by email at the same time.

As for sending invoices by post, I did it only once so far for a particular client. I try to meet a client's request whenever possible. So if requested, I will just do it.

[Edited at 2015-11-06 09:12 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 03:25
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No, but I used to! Nov 6, 2015

I do a lot of certified medical translations for one of my direct clients and he always sends a courier to pick them up. I haven’t sent an invoice by snail mail for ages. Like Muriel, I’m old enough to remember the days of floppy disks and even… typewriters!

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Only certified translations Nov 6, 2015

All my clients prefer files that they can save. Or, at least, I presume they do. Nobody has ever asked me to print a translation for them...

The only exception is when I certify translations between Danish and Spanish. These have to be stamped and signed. I also staple such translations/certifications together so that they cannot easily be pulled apart... Seems very old-fashioned, though...

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:25
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Hungary Nov 6, 2015

I have a client (agency) in Hungary who requires the invoice by post, signed, as well as by email. All my other clients seem happy to receive invoices by email and a few insist on invoicing via their online system (usually troublesome ...).
Translations? Nowadays always by email, although when I started freelancing in about 1990 they were sometimes sent by post or even hand delivered.

Suzanne Deliscar
Suzanne Deliscar  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:25
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mailing Certified Translations Nov 6, 2015

I have mailed certified translations to different parts of Canada, the United States, Guadaloupe and France. Local clients also come to my office to pick up certified translations.

Susana E. Cano Méndez
Susana E. Cano Méndez  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Same in Spain Nov 6, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

Some clients come by to pick them up at the reception here, however many prefer to receive them via conventional mail. As there is a post office just a block away, I don't mind taking that short walk for some exercise. Now and then a client from overseas arranges for their preferred courier service to come here and pick it up.

We have the same situation in Spain for sworn translations. I'm really looking forward to having an official online certification system!

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
German to English
+ ...
Occasionally Nov 6, 2015

I need to send invoices by post occasionally - to a German university, for example, as they required me to sign the invoice. I remember a Spanish agency requiring an invoice by post and then they'd send you a cheque - not in the deep, dark past either

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
German to English
+ ...
It's absolutely necessary when hard copies are required Nov 6, 2015

I do a large number of certified translations. Some clients come to pick them up in person, while others have them mailed. Courier service is another option. I chose "often".

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you ever send any projects or invoices by post?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »