Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you prefer working with foreign or domestic clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
A matter of choice Nov 5, 2015

In my 25+ years in the profession, about 90-99% of my clients have been domestic. Once in a while, the UK office of an American client contacted me with work. Payments were processed by the US office.

Speaking of domestic clients, I make a difference between same-city, same-state and different-state domestic clients. When I started out in New York City, 100% of my clientele were same-city customers. It was great! I could go meet them in person, get to know them, see them at local ch
... See more
In my 25+ years in the profession, about 90-99% of my clients have been domestic. Once in a while, the UK office of an American client contacted me with work. Payments were processed by the US office.

Speaking of domestic clients, I make a difference between same-city, same-state and different-state domestic clients. When I started out in New York City, 100% of my clientele were same-city customers. It was great! I could go meet them in person, get to know them, see them at local chapter meetings, go to the occasional holiday party.

But after I moved out of NYC, the same-city client had all but disappeared, which had a largely negative impact on my relationship building and on securing repeat work. After all, out of sight, out of mind.

In the last 2-3 years, I acquired 2 new clients thanks to the selfless efforts of the late colleague Claudia Mendizábal (she died of cancer earlier this year). Having met me once at a chapter event, she started recommending me to some of her clients. One of these clients, Native Translations, has become a very reliable, pleasant and repeat customer. Its owner lives 1 hour away from me but we have never met. We conduct business by phone and email. He must be old school because his emails have the aspect, meaning and flavor of handwritten letters: good manners, politeness, organization.

Today's realities force us to extend our practice overseas for better-paying and nicer, more appreciative clients. We can put food on the table thanks to them, but I miss the relationship building.
Collapse

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 07:45
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Domestic Nov 5, 2015

... because I live in Australia. But I do not mind Scandinavian customers either:). I am happy about Swedish and Danish rates.

Tom Ellett (X)
Tom Ellett (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:45
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Foreign Nov 6, 2015

Because I translate into English, and the clients needing (and willing to pay handsomely for) the creative translations that I enjoy producing are usually located in my source-language countries — for instance, Scandinavian businesses wishing to market their products and services to the English-speaking world.

In contrast, the domestic market for translations in my language pairs consists largely of dull-as-ditchwater personal documents for immigration purposes, job applications,
... See more
Because I translate into English, and the clients needing (and willing to pay handsomely for) the creative translations that I enjoy producing are usually located in my source-language countries — for instance, Scandinavian businesses wishing to market their products and services to the English-speaking world.

In contrast, the domestic market for translations in my language pairs consists largely of dull-as-ditchwater personal documents for immigration purposes, job applications, etc. The only real advantage in working with domestic clients is that you eliminate the currency risk and international bank fees.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:45
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Domestic clients Nov 6, 2015

Because I know the local laws when doing business, and, more importantly, my customers do as well. The result is that we both share a common ground when working together. This might get a little shaky if I choose to work with foreign customers since they will be applying the laws and business practices of the country where they are based.

Another thing, I can visit them from time to time - it's always good to see customers face to face and create a good rapport and a stronger founda
... See more
Because I know the local laws when doing business, and, more importantly, my customers do as well. The result is that we both share a common ground when working together. This might get a little shaky if I choose to work with foreign customers since they will be applying the laws and business practices of the country where they are based.

Another thing, I can visit them from time to time - it's always good to see customers face to face and create a good rapport and a stronger foundation of trust with them. Some cultural things - that might appear incongruous and alien to translators outside of Japan - do work in my favor.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 18:45
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If you are Brazilian, Nov 7, 2015

There is no way on Earth anyone in Brazil could possible vote for "domestic" clients. Unless, of course, you'd love to receive one third as much in BRL, instead of three times as much in USD or EUR. Unless you like the type of client that finds a way to complain about one mistake in a million words, and say you delivered a poor-quality job because of that one mistake. Unless you want to give 40% of your income to the government in a silver tray. Unless you like to feel your clients are tryng as ... See more
There is no way on Earth anyone in Brazil could possible vote for "domestic" clients. Unless, of course, you'd love to receive one third as much in BRL, instead of three times as much in USD or EUR. Unless you like the type of client that finds a way to complain about one mistake in a million words, and say you delivered a poor-quality job because of that one mistake. Unless you want to give 40% of your income to the government in a silver tray. Unless you like to feel your clients are tryng as hard as they can to find a way to pay you less all of the time.

In short: if anybody from a country in the southern hemisphere votes for "domestic" clients, they likely never had a client in Europe or North America.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you prefer working with foreign or domestic clients?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »