Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How confident are you in your translation skills?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:49
German to English
+ ...
a closer look at "confident" Nov 3, 2015

It includes such things as knowing what your strengths and weaknesses are, and only taking on jobs for which you are qualified. Also, having the training and experience. That confidence also includes the willingness to know we are not perfect, therefore of taking a second and third look, and being open to feedback and new information. Would you hire someone for professional work who was not confident in his ability to carry out that work?

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:49
Danish to English
+ ...
Extremely confident Nov 3, 2015

Like Chris, I know what I can do and what I can't, and if I didn't feel extremely confident in my translation skills, I would be doing something else.

Christine Andersen wrote:

...but I live in Denmark, land of the Jante Law. (Don't imagine you are anything special, don't imagine you can teach us anything... and a list of other don'ts to keep everyone on the level).
Of course, there are ways of getting round it, but if you are over-confident, you risk being slapped down.

The art is to say modest and self-deprecating things about never giving up until the client is satisfied, while subtly exuding reliability and reasons for others to have confidence in you.

I feel so sad for you, Christine: You have got the Danes so wrong! Just because you live in the good old land of the Law of Jante does not mean that you have to succumb to that law! On the contrary! The whole idea of the inventor of the Law of Jante (Aksel Sandemose) was to ridicule this attitude in Danish society and to suggest that we put that mentality to rest.

Yes, we hate bragging idiots who think the world of themselves for no apparent reason. But that is completely different to people who believe in themselves because they have every reason to. Those people have our respect.

Go on, dare to be brilliant!

[Edited at 2015-11-03 15:21 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
The problem with extremely anything Nov 3, 2015

I really liked reading some of the answers, not because they belie a humble attitude but because their owners are self-critical and are capable of an honest assessment.

Except for Chris, because she's usually writing stuff for laughs

One of the signs (or red flags, if you will) of poor writing skills is the overuse or misuse of certain words, in this case, adverbs.

I've read
... See more
I really liked reading some of the answers, not because they belie a humble attitude but because their owners are self-critical and are capable of an honest assessment.

Except for Chris, because she's usually writing stuff for laughs

One of the signs (or red flags, if you will) of poor writing skills is the overuse or misuse of certain words, in this case, adverbs.

I've read supremely confident or highly confident in something, never extremely confident.

There's no cultural anything in the use of 'extremely' in this context! Let's not excuse this kind of writing, please.
Collapse

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:49
German to English
+ ...
to Mario's comment Nov 3, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

I've read supremely confident or highly confident in something, never extremely confident.

There's no cultural anything in the use of 'extremely' in this context! Let's not excuse this kind of writing, please.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the use of "extremely" here, and it does not display poor writing skills. Actually, I can't quite picture "supremely confident".

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Fairly confident Nov 3, 2015

I think that there are certain subjects where I can create exceptional translations. I'm especially proud of my video game translations, for example. I also know that there are formats and subjects that I should never touch.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 23:49
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Succumb to Jante? Moi! Not in a thousand years! Nov 3, 2015

I think you've got me wrong!

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

Like Chris, I know what I can do and what I can't, and if I didn't feel extremely confident in my translation skills, I would be doing something else.

Christine Andersen wrote:

...but I live in Denmark, land of the Jante Law. (Don't imagine you are anything special, don't imagine you can teach us anything... and a list of other don'ts to keep everyone on the level).
Of course, there are ways of getting round it, but if you are over-confident, you risk being slapped down.

The art is to say modest and self-deprecating things about never giving up until the client is satisfied, while subtly exuding reliability and reasons for others to have confidence in you.

I feel so sad for you, Christine: You have got the Danes so wrong! Just because you live in the good old land of the Law of Jante does not mean that you have to succumb to that law! On the contrary! The whole idea of the inventor of the Law of Jante (Aksel Sandemose) was to ridicule this attitude in Danish society and to suggest that we put that mentality to rest.

Yes, we hate bragging idiots who think the world of themselves for no apparent reason. But that is completely different to people who believe in themselves because they have every reason to. Those people have our respect.

Go on, dare to be brilliant!

[Edited at 2015-11-03 15:21 GMT]

I have read Axel Sandemose...

I'm working up to renewing my Chartered Linguist status, and as far as I know I am the only Chartered Linguist who works with Danish.
Swinging between thinking what a brilliant application I wrote last year and HELP, how am I ever going to follow up on it this year...

Working up to Danish citizenship, now at last I can have the vote here AND keep my British passport.
If I had really got the Danes wrong, I don't think I could have stood living with them for 38 years...

Of course I'm brilliant. But we English don't like excessive bragging either, maybe something to do with Viking ancestors. I succumb to self criticism now and then, but I hope it's only healthy.

On average, count me in the fairly confident contingent.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You haven't read what I have read Nov 3, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the use of "extremely" here, and it does not display poor writing skills. Actually, I can't quite picture "supremely confident".

Nothing like using an intensifier to argue the use of…another intensifier. Have fun.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Back to basics Nov 4, 2015

There's something rather disturbing in asking colleagues about how confident they are in their translation skills.

Just substitute the following for 'translation':

a) Parenting skills
b) Mothering skills
c) Reading skills
d) Prayer skills
e) Walking skills
f) Voting skills

If the above got you to smile, then you're agreeing with me.

Silly poll.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How confident are you in your translation skills?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »