Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you include your terms and conditions in your invoices?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:03
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No way! Nov 2, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

... a standard invoice should contain all applicable information about the terms agreed. There is usually a standard field in the invoice for that exact purpose, so it's a commercial practice to mention them therein.

There is no should.
There is no standard field in the invoice.
And, what new universal commercial practice has suddenly been invented?

If I did this here in Japan, my Japanese customers would definitely think I was a pushy, aggressive son of a whatsit and shy away from giving me work.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:03
English to Spanish
+ ...
Terms and conditions Nov 2, 2015

It has now occurred to me that there's some confusion unwittingly created in this poll.

A bill or invoice for products or services is one thing. It is generated at the end of a commercial transaction. That we all know for sure.

The phrase terms and conditions implies a contract, agreement, covenant, or similar legal instrument. Needless to say, it's a document of an entirely different nature.

In my practice (which goes 25 years in the past), terms an
... See more
It has now occurred to me that there's some confusion unwittingly created in this poll.

A bill or invoice for products or services is one thing. It is generated at the end of a commercial transaction. That we all know for sure.

The phrase terms and conditions implies a contract, agreement, covenant, or similar legal instrument. Needless to say, it's a document of an entirely different nature.

In my practice (which goes 25 years in the past), terms and conditions can be as simple and short as a couple of emails detailing what is being done, for what amount of money and in what period of time should be delivered.

Having said that, a contract is not a bible or the Qoran: terms and clauses can be negotiated in good faith.

Terms and conditions, at least in the market I work (America) have no place in an invoice. As many colleagues have clearly pointed out, those conditions ought to have been discussed and resolved before work is performed and billed.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:03
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Japanese exceptions Nov 4, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

... a standard invoice should contain all applicable information about the terms agreed. There is usually a standard field in the invoice for that exact purpose, so it's a commercial practice to mention them therein.

There is no should.
There is no standard field in the invoice.
And, what new universal commercial practice has suddenly been invented?

If I did this here in Japan, my Japanese customers would definitely think I was a pushy, aggressive son of a whatsit and shy away from giving me work.

In Japan everything is different. I only issue invoices in North America and Europe, where the standards are surely different than in Japan. Nobody ever thought I was being pushy for stating in an invoice what we had formally agreed before. The strange and out-of-standard is certainly not the way I work, following the commercial practices of the western world.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you include your terms and conditions in your invoices?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »